I don't get the whole Teardrop trailer thing...

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Re: I don't get the whole Teardrop trailer thing...

Postby KennethW » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:42 pm

gudmund wrote:teardrop ...."it's a bedroom inside, with a kitchen in the rear and the rest of the world as the living room......." enough said
:thumbsup:
I confess. It is hard to see the attraction before take a teardrop for a spin. It is just one of those thing one has to do to see the attraction.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mtbikernate » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:00 pm

KTM_Guy wrote:I probably picked a bad spot the have to end but I had to get to bed.

My wife and I made a list for what we would like for camping, this is most of the key things.

1. Me, I want to come home for work on a Friday and say lets go camping, we would need to grab some clothes, throw some food into the cooler and be on the road in 20-30 minutes.

Pretty easy with a TD, if you have a bunch of TD-specific gear that just stays in the TD all the time. I just got mine, so had to pilfer a little bit of my backpacking gear and other stuff for my first trip. I'm working on getting gear that will exclusively live in the trailer, so I can do quick departures in the future.

KTM_Guy wrote:2. Her, she wants a toilet. That could be as simple as a portable one in one of those small shower/toilet tents.

It will probably have to be if you want something burly and compact for off-roading and boondocking.

KTM_Guy wrote:3. Both, quick to setup and take down.

TD's are great for this. Park, climb in back, sleep. The more extra fabric you add through canopies and awnings and such, the more time you add, though.

KTM_Guy wrote:4. Both, cost. Don't want to spend a lot

You'll wind up spending more than you intend. It's the way "projects" always work, right?

KTM_Guy wrote:5. Me, shower of some type.

Plenty of exterior shower options available for what you're after. Solar, on-demand propane powered, etc.

KTM_Guy wrote:5. Her, table and chairs. We alway take chair but the ones we use now are a backpacking type which are nice when you don;t have any place to sit, not the greatest to really get comfortable. On our last trip half the places we camped didn't have a table. My knees like cooking at a table.

Definitely, if you're boondocking, you're not likely to get a picnic table provided. Just want to make sure you can store whatever it is you choose to use.

KTM_Guy wrote:6. Me, plenty of water storage. We live in the desert, we alway take extra water with us. Three times now we came across people needing water. Not life and death but we had plenty to share.

Totally get it, and not a problem to accomplish. Take a look at Roto-pax. I'll be getting some of these for water storage for my TD eventually. For now, I just use those collapsible plastic jugs. One of them is fine for a couple of days, but I do have to be conscious about water use for "other" stuff so I have enough to drink.

KTM_Guy wrote:7. Her, a place to get ready at night and in the morning. Must be a girl thing.

Nah, just personal preference. a little popup privacy tent is no biggie. My wife and I are fine with doing all those things inside the TD. Maybe yours will decide she's fine doing the same eventually. We will probably wind up using one of those tents for a shower/toilet tent eventually.

KTM_Guy wrote:8. Both, Covered place to get out of the sun, wind, and sometimes rain. Tarp, canopy

We got a Fox Wing awning for our TD. Tons of coverage. But it's not the best for high winds. Many awnings are like sails.

KTM_Guy wrote:Things I know already.
Timbern axel. 10" breaks, wheels will be same as the Jeep with 31" tires with room to go up to 35's when and if I do the Jeep.
width will be to fit a twin XL mattress which will be around 60" wide
Height inside around 52-54" I want to be able to sit up and it will work with 60" Baltic Birch
length will be just under 10' to work with the BB.
Water tank, pump, galley sink, shower, hot water.
Galley with stove, storage for cookware and food. Cooler will live in the back of the Jeep.
Roof fan, probably no AC if you need AC it's probably to hot to camp, or go where is's cooler like the mountains.
12v for most everything with LEDs, two batteries, maybe a few 120v outlets, shore power, more for charging batteries when at home.
Alu skinned.

Not sure yet
Benroy or Grummen, I could use some help here. Wife wants more of the traditional teardrop. And I agree. :wine:
Canopy or some type of tarp that could also include a place for toilet and shower. I'm sure there are some cool ideas out there just haven't seen it yet.

I'm not sure why you'd WANT it all to be right together. I'd rather separate the chem toilet from the cooking/living space. I don't wanna smell it when I'm trying to cook/eat.

Wood or carpet interior.

you don't want carpet

Buy or build doors.
How big of water storage.

how much water do you plan on using?

I am thinking 1.5" stick framed walls with spray foam insulation. I haven't seen anyone do this. I still need to think this through. I would like more than the 3/4" foam like most people do.

A friend of mine built a non-offroad standee trailer in a similar sort of construction. I haven't seen how he insulated it, but it's a cool trailer. A bit less of a polished finish on the interior than I prefer, but it's a real attention-getter. With the sheer amount of insulation you're talking, though, you're probably better off buying the two-part stuff in buckets, mixing, and pouring. Probably more cost effective that way.

There is a lot more but I'm running out of time again

I have a few projects to finish up before the summer heat gets here, although today was 97 degrees I think summer is here now. I hope to have stuff all ready to go once the temps start to not be so hot in the fall. I'm looking at a knee replacement in June so I will have time to work on details then.

Todd

You obviously live out west with your a/c comments. I got the prep for a/c installed on mine in case I want it. I live in a humid climate and there's no option to just "go to the mountains" to avoid it. Even the mountains within a day's drive are humid. I plan to use it this summer (or part of this summer) without the a/c to see how the roof fan handles things and go from there. Either you deal with the humidity here or you don't camp, unless you're willing to add extra days to your trip for driving somewhere with more agreeable weather.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby mtbikernate » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:21 pm

KennethW wrote::thumbsup:
I confess. It is hard to see the attraction before take a teardrop for a spin. It is just one of those thing one has to do to see the attraction.

My wife had a "meh" opinion on them at first, until we rented one for a week. She was 100% sold on them after that, and she gladly allowed me to double the budget for options.
mtbikernate
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:25 pm

For dressing standing up without setting up a side tent. I put a clip on the inside on each side of the door to hang a beach towel.
I mount them high on the inside so the towel can drape between them.
You hang the towel and open the door. Push the towel out. and you can sit in the door completely covered.
Put your top on, the slack in the towel allows you to stand up and finish dressing.
Two chip type clip, a couple of screws and a beach towel. Fast,easy,and low cost changing room.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves