New from Missoula, MT

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New from Missoula, MT

Postby AllenS » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Been lurking for a while now and I guess it's time to say "hi".

I've been a tent camper all my life. I've never been all that big on campers of any kind, but of course now that I'm in my forties, sleeping on the ground is getting to be a bit less fun all the time. My dad bought an old, 1939 Comet teardrop a few years ago and did a really great job remodeling it, and that got my wife and I interested in teardrops. We both like the faster, easier set up than having to unpack all of our camping gear and then set everything up. We also like the look of them and there seems to be a really great community built around them. Of course, we also like the idea of having insulation, heat and air conditioning. :)

We briefly considered buying a teardrop, but after some research I decided to build one instead. We decided on a 6x10 Benroy. I've spent the last year or so planning it, and talking to other people that have built their own, and finally got started building ours a few weeks ago. I only have time to work on it on the weekends so it's pretty slow going. I bought a trailer, made a few modifications to that, and I just about have the floor insulated and ready to go. I'm hoping to get started on the side walls this weekend.

I'm already enjoying the building process, and we're both looking forward to getting it out on the road this summer (hopefully).

Wish us luck!
Last edited by AllenS on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Re: New from Missoula, MT

Postby G-Mac » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:53 pm

Best of luck and just keep plugging away at it. Whether building, buying or (like me) buying and modding, it's all in the fun of getting it the way you like it and most importantly... USING IT!

Start a build thread and post photos!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
Build (Mod) Thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67873
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Don L. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Hey, yeah, best of luck! I hope you'll take some pics and share with us.

This forum is quite a good resource. I never would have attempted my build without seeing what people here have made.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 pm

AllenS wrote:Been lurking for a while now and I guess it's time to say "hi".

I've been a tent camper all my life. I've never been all that big on campers of any kind, but of course now that I'm in my forties, sleeping on the ground is getting to be a bit less fun all the time. My dad bought an old, 1937 Comet teardrop a few years ago and did a really great job remodeling it, and that got my wife and I interested in teardrops. We both like the faster, easier set up than having to unpack all of our camping gear and then set everything up. We also like the look of them and there seems to be a really great community built around them. Of course, we also like the idea of having insulation, heat and air conditioning. :)

We briefly considered buying a teardrop, but after some research I decided to build one instead. We decided on a 6x10 Benroy. I've spent the last year or so planning it, and talking to other people that have built their own, and finally got started building ours a few weeks ago. I only have time to work on it on the weekends so it's pretty slow going. I bought a trailer, made a few modifications to that, and I just about have the floor insulated and ready to go. I'm hoping to get started on the side walls this weekend.

I'm already enjoying the building process, and we're both looking forward to getting it out on the road this summer (hopefully).

Wish us luck!

And luck to you! :beer:

We're down the highway and the far side of Lost Trail.

I buy my aluminum from CDA metals in Missoula and my trim from the Teardrop fix-it-shop in Victor. They've both been good to deal with.

http://teardropparts.com/index.html

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby AllenS » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:27 pm

tony.latham wrote:I buy my aluminum from CDA metals in Missoula and my trim from the Teardrop fix-it-shop in Victor.

Nice! I already purchased my aluminum from CDA. They gave me a really good deal. I had no idea there was a Teardrop shop in Victor. I might have to meander down and check it out one of these weekends.

-Allen
AllenS
Teardrop Builder

Postby NebraskaTeachr » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Welcome to the adventure. I just moved to Hardin a year and a half ago. I am going to be remodeling my current teardrop as I made a mistake on the hurricane hinge and now have water damage that is beyond repair. I am leaning toward the weekender in a foamy version, but after pricing out foam I am on the fence about that. Enjoy your build, and maybe we will bump into each other along the way.
NebraskaTeachr
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves