Hello from Sacramento CA

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Sacramento CA

Postby foxwalker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Howdy folks!

I've been reading through various posts on here for the last month or so. How I arrived here is that for 6 years I camped at Burning Man in a tent. The last three years I graduated to a hexayurt, which is foam boards (usually 1") taped together with 6" bifilament tape. See www.hexayurt.com for more info. See this guy break all the "rules" with a hexayurt on a trailer: http://www.whatwhyand.how/2017/03/hexay ... t-has.html. Now I want to graduate to a tiny travel trailer, for lack of a better name.

Here are the parameters of what I'm looking to build:
Weight limit for a trailer w/out brakes per my 2010 Subaru Forester manual: 1,000 lbs
CA state law weight limit for a trailer w/out brakes: 1,500 lbs
Would like it to be wide enough for a full size bed (53").
Would like to be able to stand in it (I'm 5' 6").
Would like it to be able to support 2 people on the roof.
Want it be secure (not easily broken into).

Based on the above, here are my current plans:
--Initial plan was a Harbor Freight trailer with base expanded to 6'x 10'. I decided that wider and lighter would be better so I bit the bullet and got the 5' x 8' aluminum trailer from Northern Tools. Planning either a 5' x 10' or 6' x 10 floor and 6' height.
--2"x2" framing on 24" centers (or maybe 20" or 16" centers--I want to test how solid the plywood feels on those).
--Secure together with structural screws and Liquid Nails or Titebond II.
--1/2" plywood floor and roof and 1/4" plywood sides, sealed with "the mix" and primed and painted. Could go to 5/8" and 3/8" if weight will allow.
--Haven't decided whether I'll insulate it and add interior 1/4" plywood as I need to see how much it weighs

So far I've only bought a trailer hitch and the trailer, still researching.

I can get kiln-dried 2"x2"'s at the local HD Supply and ACX sanded plywood at Home Depot or Lowes. I found mineral spirits and oil-based polyurethane on amazon.com.

Obviously I have a concern about weight. I have considered foam but then I'll need to cover it with something inside and out. 1/4" plywood would not save me any weight and so far I haven't found a 1/8" lauan. Not sure if canvas with epoxy/glue/paint will be as secure and strong as I'd like.

That's it for now!
foxwalker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Sacramento CA

Postby KennethW » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Why stand in the Camper? It is a lot easier to go 4 foot high and to tow a 4 foot high trailer. If you are not standing in the camper you maybe able to use 3/8 for the floor bolted down to the trailer without any 2x2's.
If you need to stand up a low cost shower tent may work for you.
To be able to stand on the roof may make it over your weight limit.
Have fun with your build.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 pm

Welcome! If you can get away from home this weekend, take a drive up Hwy 5, north to the Lakehead area. Take the Antlers off ramp, turn right at the gas station and follow the road all the way to the end. (It has an almost 90 degree turn to the left at one point.) When you get to the end of the road, you will find about 75 (probably more) little teardrops and tiny trailers gathered. Being in Sacramento, you could probably make a day of it; or, if you have a tent, there's sure to be a place to pitch it. People are used to and expect others to take tours of their trailers and are ready to tell you how they built theirs or anything you want to know. You'll get lots of ideas and meet lots of nice people. If you decide to camp with all of us, just tell the registration people that you're there for the Shasta Lake Gathering and you'll get a very fair price that won't clean your wallet out. The weather is going to be grand!

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=67816
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby foxwalker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:51 am

foxwalker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:00 am

you already have a build why not use it
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby SC Campbell » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 pm

Not on Facebook, unable to see your build. Good luck with it.

SC
WANTED: '45 Kit Kamper
SC Campbell
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves