Yippee! Just bought my HF Trailer

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Yippee! Just bought my HF Trailer

Postby mahai217 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:16 pm

:D Yippee! Just bought my HF Trailer :FNP

I've been lurking for a while now and finally had the opportunity to get started -- I couldn't refuse with the great deal Harbor Freight had on their HD 1195 Lb. cap. 4' x 8' trailer for $259. They even had them in stock in my local store. Now the fun begins. I can't wait to implement some of the ideas I have learned over the months from other builders. I'm sure I will have tons of questions as progress. In fact, here are a few to begin with:

* What is the best practice for converting a HF foldable trailer into a non-foldable trailer?
* I plan to move the axle back -- anything I need to pay special attention too?
* I plan to run 'house' 12v from hitch back to bulkhead area where I plan to install the battery box, VSR, and LVD. Is the recommended route under the frame or through the floor?

That should do it for now.

Thanks, everyone!

John
AKA: Mahai
mahai217
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Yippee! Just bought my HF Trailer

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun May 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Welcome to the forum. I have not used the folding HF trailer but I did use their other trailer. I took the cross members out and bolted them across the seam between the 2 side rails. Then go get a couple pieces of angle iron to replace the removed cross pieces. I also moved the axle back 6", but that could vary depending on the kind and size of trailer you are making. Enjoy the build process, it's a big part of the fun.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:57 pm

I followed instructions I saw on here, moved axle back about 7-8" welded and bolted cross members inside the frame rails to stiffen and join, lengthened my tongue about 18" Only pics I have of it are these. I did not extend tongue to second rail because I built underfloor storage. I put a 10" wide angle iron on end of my center extension and bolted it to 1st frame cross. Other picture is the overall frame with axle moved back and 14" extensions on back, which I later ended up removing
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 am

Assuming the wheels are the same as they have always been, be absolutely certain to clean out the "shipping grease/compound/stuff" in the wheel hubs and repack with actual axle grease. The clear stuff they put in is NOT grease and will fail quickly.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves