Greetings from New England, newbie with plans and a few q's

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Greetings from New England, newbie with plans and a few q's

Postby Noreast » Thu May 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Hey y'all

I've been doing a lot of browsing on here recently. This is a great forum/community with really great resources and content! Put a smile on my face to finallllyyy get the confirmation and login.

Some background: I'm a 25 year old (young for this crowd it seems!), an avid cyclist and skier. I do a fair bit of tent camping in the warm months, in car camping for ski season. I travel thruout northern New England (ME, NH, VT) often. I just try and spend as much time outdoors as I can. I came across some vintage tear' plans and i just knew it was something I had to have a crack at. A calling if you will.

Since it's my first build and I already anticipate a second, I'm planning for a more utilitarian and bare bones rig. I figure I'll get a better handle the construction and layout and do a refined second trailer after I've learned from my mistakes...I've already banged out some basic plans to visualize and gather an idea of the profile, materials needed. Been scrounging up some scrap wood already. Have some footprints and profiles mocked up at home. Just need the trailer to get going..

And The Plan is to use a northern tool 5x8 trailer extended 2' to 5x10. Axle moved rearwards, and swap the axle-over the springs to lower it. I'm going big because I know I'll never be happy with the interior space and storage of something smaller

The cabin will be something like a simplified 10x5x4' square backed grasshopper. Squared rear for ease of construction and storage space. I want to keep it light (1000lbs ish) so i think I will do 1/8 sandwich walls with a 1/2" skeleton. Maybe thicker skeleton to allow for more insulation.

Galley is a work in progress but I know I want it to be accessible from the interior coz i will use this during the winter/cold/wet. but I'm struggling how to orient things for use from both the interior and exterior (depending on weather/site setup) Im thinking a "U" shaped cabinet/countertop in the rear with a centrally mounted stove (at the base of the U, with each protrusion containing storag) .Perhaps a bulkhead or sliding door to partition the galley from the cabin.

Id also like a real minimalist electric system. 2 or 3 interior lights. A few big computer fans to vent it. A couple 12v charger ports. That ain't much so i figure I could keep the battery small and run a car batt. -> trailer batt. charging system. Need to look into this more though. I am intimidated. I might end up just doing battery lights and fans and try to piece together a modular/removable 12v charging and power system in a tongue box for when I travel further afield.

My design is coming together nicely but I do have a few questions. I am also sadly limited to web access via a mobile phone so my web searching/forum sleuthing is kinda of a PITA..apologies for any dumb or oft asked questions...

does anyone know how much an axle-over-spring swap brings the trailer down, 3-4"? More? My cars roof is only 56" from the ground (unloaded) so I need the trailer low. If I'd like to keep the full 4' of cabin height without going too far past 60" total height

Should I skeleton-ize ply for the sandwich walls or built stick-style walls with a kreg jig? I would REALLY like to 1pc wall skeletons from 5x10 ply but I'm not sure about sourcing it (and the cost...)

Well I think that's it. I'd love some feedback and to hear what y'all think!

And please feel free to drop any links to builds of similar size/style, or resources that might seem helpful to me!! It's really a joy browsing and reading around on here.

Thanks
Noreast
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Greetings from New England, newbie with plans and a few

Postby QueticoBill » Thu May 25, 2017 6:10 pm

I won't say I know much about changing from overslung to underslung but I'm doing same with my NT 8 x 5. I'll look at my drawings but pretty sure not as much as you think. I was surprised. I'm pretty much planning to do same thing in terms of frame as you suggest. I'm not extending it as much as you but if I were - and drew it 20 times - I'd extend tongue and not move axle to save work. I am extending tongue with a 2x2x1/4 tube steel, attaching to 3 cross pieces and through inverted hitch piece.

BTW I found the NT frame drawing on this site to less than accurate or at least not near the detail I needed to draw it it.

One of my challenges with underslung springs was the fenders and mounting them to frame. Don't overlook this detail if reusing the NT wheels and fenders.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Fri May 26, 2017 8:28 am

Just to follow up, my drawings show the top of the frame of the stock trailer assembled - overslung - at 1'-7 11/16", and with the axle switched so trailer is underslung - at 1'-5 3/8" - roughly 2 5/16". That tracks with the center of the leaf spring vertically to the center of axle at 1 1/8", so doubling that should be 1 1/4" - rounding being the difference. These are dimensions with no loads on anything so I presume a load will lower this an inch or two - between springs and tires - but that should be the same whether underslung or overslung.

Your post makes me reconsider my plan to move axle rearward versus extending cabin over "A" and further extending tongue. Balancing being able to "jack knife" when backing up the tear to tow vehicle 90 degrees - as recommended by many here - leaving room for a tongue box, versus the work to move axle. Hmmmm...

PS - from my drawings:

QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Noreast » Sat May 27, 2017 11:50 am

Wow, thank you! That's very valuable information. Soujds like I might end up chopping a few inches out of the cabin height

I've thought about the tongue extension but I'm not sold on it yet. I have no doubt it has its benefits but I think I'll be satisfied with the handling/balance/clearances with the 40" or whatever of stock tongue length. I'd probably end up moving the axle anyway. And as you mention, I'm also not too keen on pushing the cabin forward over the "a frame" section.

How much are you extending yours? I've thought of only 12 or 18" but I want a good amount of cabinet/galley storage to keep the car and cabin space (mostly) clear of gear and clutter. ibwant a queen-ish sized mattress in there too and that's like 80in long alone.
Noreast
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Sat May 27, 2017 12:18 pm

I have that (AutoCAD) drawing open at the moment and within fractions, the hitch is 16" further forward, but I just considered extending it another foot or two - playing with tongue strength and weight and balance spread sheets found at TNTTT.

My "deck" right now is only 8'-9" - and it might grow just a little but trying to keep the profile "length" - roof and front and back walls if you will - under 16' - 4' for hatch 12' for cabin - 4 sheets of ply - and keep height to nominal 48" and keep all profile a radius - no straight or flat sections - maximum 16' radius.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Noreast » Sun May 28, 2017 11:21 pm

Ok I've thought a few of my remaining plans and issues out

4" drop axle- would drop me down real close to my ideal height. But no one makes one that fits the NT trailer... Custom order or modified might be the ticket...or I could just deal with it...maybe...But i want it low so it sits real nice hitched to a passenger car. The 4" drop puts me around 63" total height. If I could get 60 without sectioning the cabin I I would be thrilled...not gonna happen tho

If or when I build a second TTT it'll be on a custom trailer for sure. Either with a notched frame or more likley, torsion stubs so it can sit with the same ground clearance and overall height as a passenger car. Here I am:..barely into my first build and already scheming for the second...lol

I also changed my plans for the cabin profile - I'm putting a radius on the front/top to soften the angular weekender/grasshopper shape and I've decided to slope the hatch to get extra headroom when using the hatch - which also means I only have to extend the trailer 12" now

Got the galley planned out too. On the back wall will be a folding table that revels access to the stove and galley, and provides an upright interior sitting-area. Gonna put a roof vent back there too. Very pleased with how this came together. If I can make a drawing I don't hate I'll post it up to give y'all an idea how this looks.

I should be purchasing a trailer this weekend ... also need to order a hitch for my car ... then maybe I can start building and providing the photographic goods
Noreast
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Noreast » Tue May 30, 2017 10:48 am

Not much else to add..

I've decided to not bother wiring the trailer (for now) I need to educate myself further. I think I will work toward building a minimalist 12v system with solar battery charging that I'll add later. Thinkin I could run conduit down in the interior floor of the trailer, and mount all the controllers,fuses, etc in a tongue box. This would also keep wiring out of the walls and galley so it's easy to troubleshoot or modify the system.

I'm hopefully ordering the trailer today or tomorrow. I'm at the point where I've nearly finalized all my plans so it's about time to start building

Here's a few pics I've used as inspiration. If you mashed this 3 trailers into one. That's what I'm building.
Noreast
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Noreast » Wed May 31, 2017 3:10 am

And here's a drawing of what I have in mind. Missing some things (rear cabinets, but you get the idea

i need to figure out what I'm doing for Windows/doors. I think I will build the door structure and put a pre-built window in it to save myself a few hundred bucks and learn something new. Only one door. Im gonna put a big (18x40ish) single window in the other side.

I also want a stargazer/fixed window right over the folding table area but not sure if it'll be in the budget
Noreast
Teardrop Inspector

Postby drgrumpus » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:59 am

You raise a number of questions. First, I am a New Englander, from SW NH. I built my teardrop 3-1/2 years ago on a NH 5X10 frame. I stretched the frame 12 inches and let my sides bulge out fore and aft for a total 10 feet. I'm glad I did. I have room for a queen size mattress and a decent galley. I did not put pix on this website, but I'd gladly send a few to you. Where do you live?

I used 5 X 5X3/4 birch ply for the sides and 5 X 5 X 1/8 for the top. We are in year 4 of travelling and after nearly 10,000 miles, all is ok. I used a Dexter swing axle to drop the height and give more body-tire space since my ply comes down over the frame. My electrical system is powered by a group 27 marine battery with charge from the tow vehicle. I added a 110 to 12 volt converter for charging while camped with available 110 power. The 12v system includes two interior lights, dual reading lights, 18 inch tv, and a heater. I have 2 lights in the galley. I added a 12volt to 110 inverter in the interior cabinets last year. I think my system is simple and reliable.

Since I was using 5 X % ply for the sides, I used the full height and I'm glad. It makes it easy to dress/undress inside, plus eases the claustrophobic feeling. I pull with both a Subaru Forrester (wife's car), and my Honda Fit. The Fit labors a bit, and the fuel mileage suffers, but I still use it.

Mike
Five cords of wood in, snow tires on, 5 X 8 NT frame on order. Gonna build a TD this winter.
drgrumpus
Teardrop Builder

Postby Noreast » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Nice, another helpful reply! I currently live over on the NH seacoast. I'd definitely like to see some pics of you can be bothered, you can PM them to me if you'd rather not post them here.

I haven't done much electrical work so I'm taking my time to figure out what I want, and how it should be done.. I don't have the desire for a television or plug in appliances etc.. Just reading lights, phone/tablet/battery block charging, and some ventilation fans. Ideally I'd like to run it all off a solar charged battery setup. It seems simple enough.

What heater are you using? Id really like one but I'm unsure of the added complication
Noreast
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves