Steve & Deb from northern Ohio

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Steve & Deb from northern Ohio

Postby Ohio_Steve » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:01 pm

[Copy/Paste/Edit from TearJerkers Intro]

Hi gang!

We are joining you from northern Ohio, west of Cleveland. We retired seven years ago, and have been semi empty-nesters the past two years while our youngest daughter is in college in Seattle.

Over the past couple of years, we've taken our daughter to college, taking six weeks to wander home the first year, and four weeks last fall, plus four weeks south last February. We'd often find ourselves deep in a national park or forest at dusk, and need to drive sometimes hours back to our motel. It sure would be nice if we could just stay somewhere local!

We went to the last two years of RV shows in Cleveland. We don't want a big trailer requiring a big truck to pull, nor do we want a big motor coach and need to pull our exploring vehicle. I had a Subaru Outback and now a Toyota 4Runner, and don't want to go larger than that. Roof top tents seem to be all the rage on adventure vehicles these days. But we don't want to have to climb down a ladder in the middle of the night when nature calls, and you can't leave camp in the evening after they are set up. Tent camping has long ago lost its luster, and especially out west where y'all have nasty creepy-crawlers. That gets a resounding NO from Deb.

So last Wednesday, we ordered a 5X8 Deluxe from Hiker Trailer in Indiana. Wes and Megan have been a joy to work with, and we are eager to get started. We went this route, because we intend to use the trailer for hauling our kayaks (it is quite a bit shorter than the 4Runner), as a cargo trailer, moving van for our daughter's stuff, and camper. The square roof lends itself to our needs more than a true teardrop. I hope that doesn't relegate us to "those people" status.

Unfortunately, we'll be waiting for a while. Adventure trailer sales have skyrocketed over the past couple of years, and especially the off-road style, and Hiker makes one of the most affordable off-road trailers. Plus, Outside Magazine posted a rousing review of the Hiker Off-Road a couple of weeks ago, so they have been inundated with requests for information and quotes. We should have started earlier, but I was working with Tennessee Trailer on building a custom trailer for us. Then a few weeks ago, they reorganized, ceased direct sales after nearly 60 years, and eliminated custom work. So I'd wasted three months. Now we are looking at a six month lead time for our new Hiker.

And that's why I'm here at T&TTT, and where all of you come in. I know that there is a wealth of information here, and that gives me six months to read through your modification, suggestion, and warning threads about how (and how not) to live on a platform slightly larger than a sheet of plywood. I'll try not asking too many questions, and I'm very familiar with searching on phpBB forums. ;) I won't have any photos to post for some time, but you can see some of our past travels in the links in my sig.

I look forward to the day when we can meet some of you in campgrounds or along the road somewhere.
Steve

Last edited by Ohio_Steve on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Retired, and Exploring the USA in a 4Runner and Hiker Trailer [Photo Gallery]
Follow us on Facebook - Twitter - Instagram
Ohio_Steve
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Steve & Deb from northern Ohio

Postby Ohio_Steve » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:02 pm

We opted for the 5X8 Deluxe, which includes the following standard features:
Black painted frame
Aluminum Fenders (not painted)
2,000 lb trailer Axle
4 Wire Trailer Harness
Trailer Jack
2 safety chains
2” Ball
14” Tires Aluminum Wheels
Sleeping Area has 2aaa- battery powered lights
Galley 1 -120 volt Power Strip
1aaa Battery power light in the rear galley
Manual Roof Vent
DOT Approved Side Markers Lights
Rear Brake and turn signals Lights
License Plate Holder and Light
Flooring is made of 3/4 plywood overlaid with vinyl flooring
Bottom is undercoated
Trailer sides are 3/4” plywood
Exposed Interior Components are Birch and Varnished Natural
Exterior or trailer is skinned with Aluminum
1 Exterior Door with lock
2 operable window 18x24 including screens
White Exterior
Rear galley cabinet
front cabinet
Standard rear galley door
Galley pass-through

To this we added:
Second street door
Roof rack
Large rear door (side-opening)
Fantastic vent
12v prep
Medium gray exterior wall color
Medium gray doors
Black trim
Black diamond plate fenders
White top

Here are some photos from the Hiker Trailer web site. Some of these show other sizes or options than what we ordered, but hopefully give an idea of what we are going to start with.

-----
Ohio_Steve
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ohio_Steve » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:38 pm

Then, just a week after I ordered my Hiker Trailer, I won an online contest, and will receive a roof top tent! I'll have room for guests! :)

Here's what it looks like on someone else's 4Runner

-----
Ohio_Steve
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Welcome. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:15 am

Welcome aboard. Beween the ttt and the pop-up, you've got a bnb for four (if you want to supply breakfast). You're starting at a point many or us homebuilders are striving to reach, but I'm sure you can get tips on many improvements or ideas here. You may have to provide the questions for specific issues, but you'll get suggestions. I'm a southern Oh/Fl guy, so buckeyes are always 'kin'.............jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Welcome from another Buckeye (west of Toledo).
One of the best ways of finding what others have done is coming to some of the Tearjerkers gathers, CRA we basically fill up a state park in Indiana.
http://tearjerkers.net/new_forum/Calendar.html
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Ohio_Steve » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks guys!

I'll likely sell the roof top tent once my Hiker Trailer is built. I never would have bought one, but I couldn't turn down a free one! Once I use it a couple of times, I may decide to keep it for solo trips, or when we go somewhere that I can't pull the trailer.

If we're not on another western trip this fall, I may run over to the Tearjerkers Buckeye Chapter's outing at Maumee State Park. That's a nice place. They are at East Harbor this weekend, but I'm not available.

Thanks again for the welcome!
Steve
-----
Ohio_Steve
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves