Hello from Norcal

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Norcal

Postby Kmucha16 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Hey all, I've found my new obsession. I tend to find a potential new hobby and dive all in with research before even starting. Sometimes to the detriment of work and other activities. It's a sickness....really.

Anyway, I've already purchased my HF 4x8 trailer, the 1,720 lb capacity one. Comes with the larger 5.3x12" tires with 5 lugs. Been sitting in it's boxes for a couple months now, although I did clean out and grease the wheel bearings last weekend, so I've got that going for me. Hopefully this weekend I'll actually assemble the trailer. Then I can start my build. The intent is to be able to put together something I can store on the side yard and that will be comfortable and easy enough that my wife will want to go camping more. We can all hope for that one. If not, my boys and I can go on our own trips.

My goal is to do this sort of in stages.

Stage 1 being to build a galley/camp box for the kitchen stuff, and another one for the gear storage, and just go tent camping for a bit. The plan is for 2 boxes 4ft l x 4ft h x 2ft deep and fill the front (or rear) 4x4 footprint. Using the remaining space to haul the kids bikes and other gear as needed. These would be removable so that I can use the trailer as a utility trailer as needed. Simply 3/4 ply boxes with requisite shelving and drawers. Although, I'd love to make the galley built out like the ones I see on y'alls full on campers.

Stage 2 would entail building a living enclosure. Utilizing the previously constructed galley box, it would mate up to the new living box, which would also be removable. Inside would be cubbies above the foot space for storage. Pretty simple DC electrical, fan, switched LED fixtures, and USB power ports for small devices. Potentially external AC extension cords and a charge controller for plug in camping. Thinking of creating wiring harnesses for each box so that it is easily disconnected when removed. Plug n play. Thinking ply sandwich walls with foam board insulation. I've got lots of woodworking experience and have no doubt I can build something pretty cool. I'm envisioning birch ply trimmed out in redwood or cedar for contrast. With a clear coat finish.

My biggest questions are:

1) What do you think about this approach? I've looked for removable campers and there's not a lot of detail out there. I thought with 2 separate boxes, the weight and maneuverability might be lessened making it easier to remove. Also provides a couple options when heading out depending on the type of trip and required gear.
2) Do I really need insulation? Norcal (SF Bay Area) is pretty temperate and I'm curious if there's much comfort to be gained at the expense of 3 inches width.
3) Still struggling over the doors. Build or Buy? I really don't want to spend $300 on doors, and I'm pretty sure I could build them. Just need to research that more. I do envision having to buy a few windows though.

Anyway, thought I'd get this out there and see what sticks.

Thanks for looking.

Kevin
Kmucha16
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves