Newbie with a plan...

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie with a plan...

Postby arank1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi guys (gals too of course)
I have been sulking around on here for a while but I have (almost) decided to build a teardrop. Here is my plan:

1. General shape of Oregon Trailer Do-Drop
2. No rear galley: saves construction time and cost and we can cook on a camp kitchen under an easy up.
3. No rear galley saves space for a bunk for our 2 year old. This is a key part of the build.
4. Very basic electrical with a few outlets and a couple of USB outlets, Fantastic Fan also.
5. Roof strong enough to hold CVT roof mounted tent.

The basic idea is a simple trailer that will allow my family to grow and keep using it, small enough to pull with whatever car we have in the future. I'm thinking around $2,000 total for the build and then of course buy the CVT tent later.

What do you all think? Is this dumb? Unreasonable? Major flaws here? I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks!

Al
arank1
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie with a plan...

Postby mcubberley » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:34 pm

What happens to the fan with a cvt on top? Raised platform?

Next is there enough flat space on top of that design. Not sure about cvts but those are my thoughts.

I think your budget might work if you can find cheap enough flexible plywood for the top, make your own doors, and use a used trailer. Might have to do something other then hardwood plywood for the sides and do reserve on cheap skinning and sealing options.

I am in the same boat as you. I probably won't build a galley on my next one and instead try for space for a foldable mattress and headspace that converts to a bench seats.

Just quick thoughts. Have fun and good luck!

www.themodernshopteacher.com
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby arank1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:19 pm

mcubberley wrote:What happens to the fan with a cvt on top? Raised platform?

Next is there enough flat space on top of that design. Not sure about cvts but those are my thoughts.

I think your budget might work if you can find cheap enough flexible plywood for the top, make your own doors, and use a used trailer. Might have to do something other then hardwood plywood for the sides and do reserve on cheap skinning and sealing options.

I am in the same boat as you. I probably won't build a galley on my next one and instead try for space for a foldable mattress and headspace that converts to a bench seats.

Just quick thoughts. Have fun and good luck!

http://www.themodernshopteacher.com

Thanks for the thoughts! I haven't come up with a solution for the fan with the roof mount tent. Possibly a front mounted fan or a fan mounted on the curve where the galley door would be? I also forgot to add the folding mattress/futon but your post reminded me! Great minds think a like. I saw it on the Vestibule trailer and thought it was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arank1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Possibly a front mounted fan or a fan mounted on the curve where the galley door would be?

Fantastic fans work great, but like most of this genre, they need about 16" of flat.

This is their low-profile model that I think they did away with... I think they still may make the flat lids. Having a vent on top is a must-have in my book. Most of the time, it's cracked. When it's hot, we run the fan.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby arank1 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:13 am

For the roof mount tent I wonder if I could just build the roof rack taller? Maybe 6 inches of additional clearance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arank1
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves