Hello From Southern California

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello From Southern California

Postby dkitt4jc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi All,
I'm researching the purchase of our first trailer and I was led to this forum. Looks like there's a lot of great info here. I've already read a lot of good stuff in the few days I've been hanging out here. We (my wife and I) haven't fully decided on which route to take: teardrop or pop-up camper. They both have qualities that are attractive to us. One thing that's important to us is being able to hook up to power because my wife wears a CPAP. So, I think I would like/need a Solar power option for those times we go to a site without hookups.

We just came back from a vacation (sans camper) where we drove down US 395 in the Owens Valley (east of the Sierras in California) and we both just loved that area. There are many camping options throughout the valley. We would really like to go back and camp there. One place that was especially intriguing were the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine. WOW!!! Right at the foot of Mt. Whitney.

I look forward to reading thru everything here and learning what I can. Thanks for reading.

Don K.
Vista, Ca.
dkitt4jc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello From Southern California

Postby CaptKidd » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:57 am

Check out the R-Pods by Forest River. I sold my teardrop and bought a 179 R-Pod.
CaptKidd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:18 am

Welcome. My cpap runs on 12vdc, you just need a good battery system, solar or generator to recharge (we use both) during the day.
We are in the process of moving to Bishop from San Diego. If you want to get the full experience at the hills go in the spring:
http://www.alabamahillsstewardshipgroup ... ay-apr-8-9 We had a blast.
Keough's hot springs, 7 miles south of Bishop has power sites, reduced cost for the hot spring swimming pool - closed on Tuesdays,
turn off the access road and hit the stream just east for free, sometimes there are unsavory folks there so use your head.

You can get BLM maps in Bishop office and the FS station has some free ones and some detailed area maps for low cost. There are some
closed ecological areas but lots of free range camping.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby dkitt4jc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:27 pm

CaptKidd wrote:Check out the R-Pods by Forest River. I sold my teardrop and bought a 179 R-Pod.

Thanks Capt. I have looked at the R-pods, but they're too heavy to tow with my Rav4. I'm limited to 1500 lbs.
dkitt4jc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dkitt4jc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Bill n Robi wrote:Welcome. My cpap runs on 12vdc, you just need a good battery system, solar or generator to recharge (we use both) during the day.
We are in the process of moving to Bishop from San Diego. If you want to get the full experience at the hills go in the spring:
http://www.alabamahillsstewardshipgroup ... ay-apr-8-9 We had a blast.
Keough's hot springs, 7 miles south of Bishop has power sites, reduced cost for the hot spring swimming pool - closed on Tuesdays,
turn off the access road and hit the stream just east for free, sometimes there are unsavory folks there so use your head.

You can get BLM maps in Bishop office and the FS station has some free ones and some detailed area maps for low cost. There are some
closed ecological areas but lots of free range camping.

Thank you for all the valuable feedback Bill n Robi. That's the kind of stuff I need to know. When I have more time I will go back and look over the link to the Alabama Hills. Looks like some really good stuff there. Thanks again.
dkitt4jc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Don, welcome to the board, from another So Calif teardropper. Where are you located? I'm in Wildomar, between the I-15 and I-215. If you care to swing on by, I have three teardrops that I have built, and we can talk home built trailers over a cup of coffee. It looks like you have been bitten, like many of us, so keep that dream alive. Hope to hear from you.
:D 8) :thumbsup: Roly, the li'l ol' woody TD designer, builder and user!
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Vedette » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:43 am

Teardrop Camping is a whole different world from other forms of camping (we have don them all) nothing can compare. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Not only is it the cheapest and easiest way to travel (if you want to see things without restrictions) but it is definitely a way to meet some great people.
Teardrop Campers are a special breed in themselves. ;)
There are a large number of Teardrop groups and events that add to your Camping Fun! :applause:
Why drag a huge gas consuming house around the country or become a bus driver, when you can have a safe, dry, warm bed very night no matter where you may wish to stop, where you can enjoy the great outdoors, not hide out in some air conditioned box :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves