Dwight Z. from Sequim WA

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Dwight Z. from Sequim WA

Postby dwighthz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi All,
A partner and I built camper shells for pickups back in the late 90s. We used prefab aluminum frames, covered with aluminum skins. We also built some wood frame custom shells, also. So, the basic construction ideas are not foreign to me. Never used fiberglass, tho.

I'm thinking of using a Northern Tool 5' x 8' aluminum trailer. Weight is (or lack of weight) is important. Thought about a "foamie" for a while.

Want use 3/4" marine grade for bottom, "skeleton sides" and roof - may have to rethink the roof - may go with aluminum and wood struts. Would like to insulate with 1' (or 1 1/4') Styrofoam all around, Ventilation windows on both sides and a roof fan. Maybe some under floor storage (?). Would like take advantage of the 48" height sloping to 36" to 40" inches in front and back with a 36" to 48" flat top.

Can't decide on regular paint job or "poor man's fiberglass". Want it "water tight" tho.

What to put a 36" (H) x 30" (W) door in "flatback" design, Not a true 'teardrop'. No galley or galley type hatch. One door is 50% less likely to leak than 2 side doors - I think.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwight Z. :thumbsup:
dwighthz
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Dwight Z. from Sequim WA

Postby Vedette » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:57 pm

Welcome to the Forum
A galley in the rear is definitely what makes a Teardrop usable and brings you together with other Teardrop Campers.
There is a huge new Family out there if you want to joining.
Also, two doors is almost a must. If you worry about them leaking, build them so they don't leak.
There is a ton of information on this Forum, and my advice to all "Newbies" planning to build rather than buy.......is to do your homework! :thinking:
It will save you time, money, and frustration. ;)
Also you may only have to build one. :roll:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves