Hello! I'm new here!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello! I'm new here!

Postby szern » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am

Hello!
My name is Sandy and I"m a newbie who has learned a bit by reading various topics and decided I needed to become a member today so I could learn even more from you all. All of your teardrops and tiny campers are beautiful! I plan to begin building this fall and have it done by April but I highly doubt it will look as professional as what I've seen from you all! I first saw teardrop campers on the road about 10 years ago and was intrigued by them but I quickly put the idea of purchasing one (I was not a builder back then) out of my head since we had two young children and I didn't think it to be a very practical way to travel with them. Now that my children are grown and I have a workshop, I think that my husband and I would really enjoy a teardrop and get much use out of it. We both LOVE to hike and explore nature, especially the national parks, and we've tent camped but it's impossible for me to get a good night sleep on the ground in a tent. My hope is that this teardrop will enable us to get to the mountains more often to hike and be better rested and more comfortable while doing so.
Since I'm actually going to look at a used 4 x 8 trailer to possibly purchase tomorrow, I thought I might try to ask my first question now. I'd really like to build a 5 x 8 teardrop but I'm having difficulty finding used 5 x 8 trailers at a good price. The one I may purchase tomorrow as newer wheels, new lighting, and just generally looks pretty good but it's only 4 x 8. I've read here that it's possible to build up the bed so that a 5 x 8 (or even a 5 x 10 if I wanted) could be built on a 4 x 8 trailer. I've searched for topics on the forum that explain how to do this but I've not been able to find any. Can anyone direct me to one? I have plenty of tools and some skill with building so I think I'm up for the challenge! Any help would be appreciated!
Sandy
szern
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello! I'm new here!

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:19 am

Hello Sandy, welcome to the most helpful building and camping forum on the net. I may be too late, but I feel you should really consider checking out the used 4x8 TD you spoke of. It will get you camping much sooner, and if you really feel that a 5 wide would suit your needs better, go for it later. I'm a 4x8 builder and have 35,000 miles on my woody, and am content with it's comfort, light weight and ease of towing. Just my 2 cents, good luck on your teardrop future, no matter which way you go. Remember, a homebuilt, may delay your camping pleasure by a year or more. Hang in there, and do keep in touch. We are here to help, answer questions and furnish loads of cash, if needed. Oops, forget that last one!
:) 8) :thumbsup: Roly, the li'l ol' So Calif woody teardrop guy PS do check out the Hall of Fame of hundreds of TDs.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:33 am

Hi Sandy and welcome!

Our camper began life as a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer. Did some modifications and the actual camper is 10' l x 5.5'w x 5.5' h . It took about 5 months to build it and take it on its first trip of over 2,500 miles. I worked on it maybe 3-4 hours per day, maybe 4-5 days per week, when health and weather allowed. It now has about 10,000 miles on it and we love it.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby szern » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Roly - Thanks for the welcome and the advice! I decided to purchase the used 4 x 8 "Carry On" brand trailer and have decided to build it 4 x 8 instead of extending it to 5". My husband and I usually sleep pretty close together so I think we'll be just fine. Besides, I don't want to complicate my first build. I'm very excited to get started working on it but I have to remember that slow and steady is the best way to go. I am finding myself doing lots of research and doing much thinking, planning and list making! I do have a question regarding my trailer - it has a metal mesh floor on the bottom and a 9 inch high rail that goes around the front and two sides. I'm thinking I'll need to cut the rail off with my angle grinder and that shouldn't be a problem but I really don't like the metal mesh floor but I think that will be very difficult to remove as it's welded to the sides and cross beams. Do you think I can leave the mesh on and just lay the 3/4 ply on top of it?
szern
Teardrop Inspector

Postby szern » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Hello Dave & thanks for the welcome! I am hoping to have mine built by April so we can start using it in the spring. My husband and I are very excited about it and plan to explore many national parks with it. Sounds like you are enjoying yours!
szern
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves