Newbie from North

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from North

Postby PJLangevin » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Good Evening from Canada.

Well I am new to this whole thing, but as is me, I have jumped in with both feet and am now trying to keep my head above the water. I have started (well almost finished) the frame of my 5' 4" x 8' 4" teardrop trailer, and then today I bought a partial started teardrop.
Pictures are in my gallery for anyone to look at, please make lots of comments, I really need help :?and I've been told the first step is admitting it.
Our design calls for walls that are 1/4" ply outside 2 x dimensional lumber framing, and 1/4 or 1/8 ply inside. Going retro with canvas outer covering (poor man's fiberglass if you must). The unfinished one I bought, is going to have same finish, but has thinner walls. It is for a very close dear friend.
So there is the start of my journey, will take all the help I can get.
Oh yeah, want to build as much as can using my own tools, so I've got lots of questions on doors and windows and sunroofs and electrical (I have an idea, but not sure if it will work), and framing, and well lots.

So Hi! :D :wine:
An it harm none, do what ye will
PJLangevin
Teardrop Builder

Re: Newbie from North

Postby dmdc411 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:14 pm

My opinion, 1x lumber is perfect for framing. Then fill cavities with 3/4" high density foam board. Using wood glue on wood and liquid nails on the foam board. Makes an amazingly strong structure. The floor maybe 3/8 " ply minimum, 1/2" max, but fill with foam board again. Light weight, and strong is end result! Think it through, read the forums, ask questions if your stuck. But enjoy the project.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby PJLangevin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:02 pm

Thank you for the options, means wall thickness will then be 1/4"+3/4"+1/4" = 1 1/4" correct? Question is 3/4" is hard to find in Winnipeg, could use spray foam for insulation? When you say same for floor I was thinking just straight 3/4", it should be insulated?
This is why I love this site.

PJL
PJLangevin
Teardrop Builder

Postby drhill » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:37 pm

come on now. Winterpeg has plenty of sources for insulation.

Home Depot there has 3/4" foam insulation. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.eps- ... 16759.html

Cheers,
Don
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:24 pm

drhill wrote:come on now. Winterpeg has plenty of sources for insulation.

Home Depot there has 3/4" foam insulation. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.eps- ... 16759.html

Cheers,
Don

Interesting since not that is not available in Chicago area home depot. Im planning on 1" which seems much more availabe around here. Besiides i have a lot of 5/4 lumber leftover. I also prefer XPS over EPS but that would vary based on how much you rely on it for structure I guess.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby PJLangevin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 pm

That they do, but I am kinda stranger, I want the panther on mine :D . But more rigid, and no film on it. But am really thinking spray foam. Has some at work with pro style reuseable gun for applying, cuts great with wire.

PJL
PJLangevin
Teardrop Builder

Postby dmdc411 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 am

If your used to working with it go for it! That's how it goes! My suggestion comes from working with airplanes, both factory and home builts. My opinion, the biggest mistake is, over building. Making it to heavy. Don't need 2x4s in this type of structure. 2x2 is slightly over kill. Look up how a torque box works. I'm fairly convinced, 1/8" skins, and 1/2" structure would be fine. Covered in aluminum or glass, light and super strong! But I'm not willing to risk it! So, 1/4" skin over 1x2 sit is. Before I put my aluminum skins on the roof, I walked across it. Zero flex!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves