Hello from Seattle

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Seattle

Postby SunTrekker » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Hello everyone,

Thanks for having me. I've been creeping in the shadow for a bit trying to find my way around. I am still in the information gathering/planning phase.

This will be my first build. Basics I think I know now. It will be a 4x8, with solar power, slide out gas stove to save counter space, sink, clean and grey water tanks, slide out refrigerator cooler, back up goal zero generator for nights/no sun.

I definitely think I am going to have a challenge fitting everything into this small space.

I am hoping to start the rolling purchases for components in two months. I will be leaning on you all for advice.

Blue skies,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SunTrekker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Seattle

Postby Nodrog » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:33 am

Welcome fellow new person!! I am building a foamy trailer, some posts and pics under "A Foam Project" in Foamies This forum has been a source of much inspiration and information....you are in good company here!! I just wanted to interject, as far as getting more in a small space, some have built water tanks out of large pvc pipe, I spose a quick search will turn up examples. These are low cost and can be slung under a trailer without being too low, choose your pipe size...you can figure the gallons, right? Anyway, have a good time, enjoy building!! Always more fun to build something rather than buying, I believe!
Nodrog
Teardrop Master

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:40 am

Hi Scott, welcome aboard. Some new builders regret installing all of the items you mentioned right in the very area where much of your camping gear must be stowed. I guess I am of the old school, and think teardropping is a bit different from what we enjoy in the comforts of eveyday life. Hauling fresh water and waste water around may add unwanted weight to your trailer. Just my 2 cents, but give it some thought, you can't go back once it is built and overloaded. By the way, be sure to take pics and post em. Try to make it to a TD gathering, with or without a camping unit. Chat with previous builders and pick their brains. They really are a helpful, friendly bunch. Good luck on your build.
:) 8) :thumbsup: Roly, the li'l ol' woody td builder in Sunny So Calif.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby KennethW » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:21 pm

You may want to read this. It is very insightful. http://www.mikenchell.com/perfect_td.html
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 am

Wow, a great read. All new builders should read this information. We should share it with all newbies.
8) :) :thumbsup: Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby BobMarieLitt » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Wow, a great read. All new builders should read this information. We should share it with all newbies.
8) :) :thumbsup: Roly

An excellent read and very informative! Bob & Marie L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BobMarieLitt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SunTrekker » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:11 am

KennethW wrote:You may want to read this. It is very insightful. http://www.mikenchell.com/perfect_td.html

Thanks Kenneth!

Great to see all the different ideas and visions people have for a TD build.

I do love cute and small, but I will definitely drop the sink, faucet, and permanent water storage. I’ll opt for a few inches of under floor storage space instead. Weight is a concern though since I am towing with a vehicle that is not tow rated.....Hyundai Ioniq hybrid.......I do however want to plan around the 4’x8’ design. I love backpacking so the space should be more than adequate and comfortable.

I am going to continue planning through the holidays and start the build in January.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SunTrekker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:58 am

If you are building on a bolt together trailer. You can bolt the last to cross-members under the side rails and slide a piece of plywood in from the side for the floor in the galley. Adds about 7" of storage under the counter and is very easy to do.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:15 am

I am in the same boat with a small tow vehicle. Keep it as light as you can. My build came in at right about 500 lbs and I can start to notice the weight on my breaking when I have it loaded to camp. One thing you can do to keep the weight down is start with one of Northern Tools aluminum trailer kits. They cost just a little more but if weight is a concern, it is worth it.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

KennethW wrote:You may want to read this. It is very insightful. http://www.mikenchell.com/perfect_td.html

I think he nailed. it.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:01 am

Good choice to lose the things you mentioned. I would've suggested the same if I would have found your posts first.
Two more things that always come from me when asked for my 2 cents worth are:
Build a 5' wide unless you are single and plan to stay that way!
And consider nothing less than a Dexter Rubber ride axle with 14" tires minimum (I use only 15" on my trailers)
Also, we have a very active Tear Jerkers Chapter here in the PNW if you would like to join in the FUN! :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
If you think you might like to buy a brand new 5' x 10' homebuilt Teardrop in Washington that you would just have to personalize at a reasonable price I can hook you up, Gentleman has built 3 over the past tree years to keep himself busy.
PM me if instant gratification is something you might consider as opposed to the full building process??i :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:43 pm

May have learned how to post Pictures.
This the trailer my friend has For Sale in Wa. State. 151578
Good Roads