Hello from South Carolina

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from South Carolina

Postby Johnm » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:41 pm

I ran across this site while researching a boat project that I am working on. You probably ask how does boat = teardrop? I was looking a fiberglass ideas and came across "poor man's fiberglass. Someone showed a teardrop they had built using it on the skin. That was all it took to get me interested in teardrop trailers. I showed my wife some of the build pictures. She said " finish the boat before you start another project". The boat is almost finished so it wont be long before I can start construction. I have been working in the H.V.A.C. industry for 26+ years. Over the years I have learned a few skills that will be helpful with building a teardrop. Some of my hobbies include woodworking and working with metal. My most recent project (boat) has taught me a lot about bending wood and working with plywood. I will show a few pictures of the boat at the end of this post. During my build I plan to show lots of pictures. I'm not an expert so if anyone know's a better way of doing something I am doing, I am open to suggestions. For now, thank you for allowing me to join this community.

John

pictures 064.jpg
pictures 064.jpg (84.52 KiB) Viewed 974 times

pictures 30.jpg
pictures 30.jpg (65.66 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Johnm
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from South Carolina

Postby pchast » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Welcome John. :D
Glad to see you survived
building a boat inside the house.
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Johnm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:00 pm

The boat now resides in one of my tool sheds. My daughter still tells her friends about how I built a row boat on the dining room table. :lol: After surviving building the boat inside, I doubt I will be able convince my wife to allow a teardrop indoors. :D
Johnm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:01 am

Hi John, welcome aboard to the best teardrop forum on the net. Good for you, a woodworker building neat stuff. Now, if you have any questions for another "old" woodworker, just give me a shout. I built my all-wood teardrop 15 years ago, and it is still going strong. I feel most builders go overboard with plywood thickness and heavy trailer frames, but that is just my opinion. My tear only weighs 550 lbs, has 35,000 miles on it, rides on a Harbor Freight frame and tires, and has given me no problems......ever! So, check out the Hall of Fame, build your dream TD in one inch to the foot scale out of cereal box cardboard and see what is will look like, then build a few more just to get it just right. It works for me, give it a shot. BTW the boat looks great, and hope that the fiberglass work will go well (on the kitchen table?)
Take pics of your progress and post em, we love pics. (hope that the storm passes you by with no problems.)
Roly, the li'l ol' woody teardrop guy in So Calif.
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Johnm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Hi John, welcome aboard to the best teardrop forum on the net. Good for you, a woodworker building neat stuff. Now, if you have any questions for another "old" woodworker, just give me a shout. I built my all-wood teardrop 15 years ago, and it is still going strong. I feel most builders go overboard with plywood thickness and heavy trailer frames, but that is just my opinion. My tear only weighs 550 lbs, has 35,000 miles on it, rides on a Harbor Freight frame and tires, and has given me no problems......ever! So, check out the Hall of Fame, build your dream TD in one inch to the foot scale out of cereal box cardboard and see what is will look like, then build a few more just to get it just right. It works for me, give it a shot. BTW the boat looks great, and hope that the fiberglass work will go well (on the kitchen table?)
Take pics of your progress and post em, we love pics. (hope that the storm passes you by with no problems.)
Roly, the li'l ol' woody teardrop guy in So Calif.

After looking at many of the builds, I have decided that I like the traditional shaped teardrops. What I have been thinking about for my first build is 5'x10' teardrop built on an Ironton trailer. What I have in mind is building a lightweight but strong teardrop. I looked at foamys but because I like working with wood this one will be either 1x2 or 2x2 frame with 1/8 inch plywood skin inside and out and foam insulation. I have not decided yet whether I will make the outside a woody or use "poor man's fiberglass". It depends on my budget when I get to that stage of the build. From looking at the woody pictured in your avitar (nice looking tear by the way :thumbsup: ) I may have a few questions to ask when I start gathering materials. One question for now is do you have any build pictures for your teardrop? Till next time......
John
Johnm
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves