Hello from Philadelphia, Pa

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Philadelphia, Pa

Postby Rhags138 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 am

So I have been lurking the forums for several years planning out my build. It started when my wife and I were tent camping out in north western Pa for STPR for the weekend. The first night we were awoken by an angry momma bear and her cub(s?). She was ripping apart the empty trash can about 5 yards from our heads while something else was rubbing on the tent. This went on for about an hour and a half. The wife was understandably freaked out and swore off tent camping. I started looking up how easy it would be to build a tiny travel trailer and came across the forum. Several moves and an electric brew build got in the way. Plus, its hard to plan the logistics of a trailer build while living in a city(no driveway, no garage, theft....). Then, something terrible happened. My 06 Volvo V50 spun a rod bearing. The engine needs to be replaced to the tune of $4200. It doesn't make much sense to dump that kind of money into it, especially since there is still a bit owed on it. Man I loved that 6 speed turbo wagon. I have convinced the wife that parting it out would be the best way to recoup some funds to pay it off. That leaves me with an empty shell. My thinking is that it will be a perfect shell to build a teardropish trailer out of. Half of the build would already be done as all I would need to do is attach an a-frame and coupler to the firewall and build out the interior. I wouldn't have to worry about waterproofing. Since it is a wagon, it already has a hatch in the back for the "kitchen". It is nice to finally be an official member here and thank you to everyone for the knowledge that I have found, and continue to find. I know that the wheel is a little far back as far as trailer balance is concerned, but I just can't see to give this wagon up.Image

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Rhags138
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Philadelphia, Pa

Postby KennethW » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:14 am

The wheel placement would make the tongue very heavy. Plus the whole thing would be a little heavy. But you already have it and it would be easy to do (A weekend and a saws-all and a drill) License may be a problem depending on your state.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:39 am

Loaded cargo tray off a rear hitch, all heavy tanks etc at or behind the rear axle will help with tongue weight issue.

Talk to your DMV guys first.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:46 am

I would DIY a reman or used engine replacement and take the $ saved and start a classic simple teardrop build and use the wagon as an awesome TV.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Rhags138 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 am

I already tried to sway the wife in that direction, but she is afraid that after dropping money on another engine that it will happen again. She has already replaced it with a CRV. We now have 4 vehicles and I doubt that she would appreciate another project. I have already gotten her to come to terms with me keeping the mx-5.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Rhags138
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 am

Rhags138 wrote:but I just can't see to give this wagon up.
s'all just stuff man. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves