Hello from Central Texas

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Central Texas

Postby Zilonox » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am

In the 70's and early 80's, my folks would pack up the station wagon (my siblings and I always fought over that backwards facing seat in the rear) and we would go camping during the summer. We had a huge, heavy canvas tent that housed all 6 of us. I recall those trips fondly now, though I'm sure I hated them at the time. I have an 8yr daughter and a 5yr old son I would like to give the same opportunity. We've been camping a few times, but the boy is just now getting to the stage where we wouldn't have to chain him to a tree to keep him from wandering off, lol. Both kids are in scouting programs and lots more camping is on the horizon. However, I turn 50 this year and sleeping on the ground is something that brings more pain than enjoyment.

About a year and a half ago, I was finally able to achieve a dream I'd had since the 70's--I acquired my first Jeep (an '03 TJ Rubicon). From that moment, a camping trailer was on my radar. But the price of a new is way beyond my reach, and I rarely see used ones at a price I could afford (not to mention they get snapped up pretty quick around here). I've watched a ton of youtube videos and scoured the instructables web site for information on buildnig my own, but the one place where I consistently found good information was right here on TNTTT. So I've been lurking, reading and learning for over a year.

I had also spent that time scouring Craig's List, local ads, garage/estate sales and flea markets for a utility trailer that I could build on. This weekend just past I got lucky on and was able to pick up a 4x6 Northern Tools utility trailer that already had a wooden box on it for less than $200.

The wife is less than impressed with it at the moment and says she would rather sleep in a tent. I showed her some builds from here she said if I could get it to sleep all four of us comfortably, then she would use it. So that's my goal. I'll probably have to go the TTT route rather than try to make it into a TD since at only 6 ft long, there's not much room for a galley. We have an overnight camp out coming up the first weekend of February (just the boy and me), so it'd be great if I could at least get it sleep-able by then. My real target is week-long camp with a local group at the end of April. It's going to take a lot of work and I'm still short on money (and time), but I'm really motivated to get this done. So much so that I decided to finally join TTT so I can ask some of you questions about your builds that I had no reason to ask until now. :D

I do plan on putting up a build thread once I get a few things ironed out (I find those to be very helpful!). So, hello from central Texas and I hope you don't mind my questions!

Z
Zilonox
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Central Texas

Postby kykate » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 am

Sounds like you have some great ideas. So glad you got your Jeep and found this trailer. Welcome aboard! :D
Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Zilo.....Keep in mind "if mama ain't happy, Ain't nobody happy"......Have a ball.............jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:04 pm

If I was doing it over again (my kids are 25 and 27) I would do a roof top tent for the kid on top of a teardrop. Even when we had the pop up camper the kids loved sleeping in a tent next to the camper. It might be easy to find room now in the camper but that will only last a few years before they get to big.

I planning on being able to add a RTT to the build I'm starting, hope to have grandchildren some day to take camping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Zilonox » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:40 pm

kykate wrote:Sounds like you have some great ideas. So glad you got your Jeep and found this trailer. Welcome aboard! :D
Kate

Thank you!

jondbar628 wrote:Zilo.....Keep in mind "if mama ain't happy, Ain't nobody happy"......Have a ball.............jd

You speak the truth!

KTM_Guy wrote:If I was doing it over again (my kids are 25 and 27) I would do a roof top tent for the kid on top of a teardrop. Even when we had the pop up camper the kids loved sleeping in a tent next to the camper. It might be easy to find room now in the camper but that will only last a few years before they get to big.

I planning on being able to add a RTT to the build I'm starting, hope to have grandchildren some day to take camping.

Interesting idea. The 5yr old still slips into our bed in the middle of the night, so I'm not sure he'd go for that. But, that does get my creative juices flowing even more...

One of my design goals was to make it modular, specifically with the top foot or so of the camper and using latches. If it's just myself and maybe one other, then I latch on a basic roof (like it has now). If all four of us are going, then I latch on a pop-up for the kids. If I go with that design, then I could latter make a top that had a RTT with access to the tent from inside (and a more traditional design later on). Hmmmm, very interesting indeed..
:twisted:

Z
Zilonox
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Zil,

welcome to tnttt, you've come to the right place to get answers to your questions.. :)

As I've found, there are some very helpful people here.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So have fun with it...
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby pralfred » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Warm welcome from San Antonio! Good luck on your build! How's it coming along?
"While there is tea, there is hope." --Sir Arthur Pinero
pralfred
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves