Hi From Wisconsin

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi From Wisconsin

Postby imlucky42 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi all,

I've been an admirer of Teardrops for a few years and now that I have a third stall I can finally I am able to start my own build! being from Wisconsin I'm already realizing my timeline of 6 months is going to be tight as working in 20 degree weather (even in the garage) isn't fun but I've got a little heater to help with that. my build is going to be as basic as it gets, no electric, just a place to sleep. my biggest concern is making sure the cabin is leak proof as I have no experience with any of the options I have seen used to finish the exterior (aluminum sheeting, epoxy, etc.). currently I have an Ironton 5x8 trailer finished last night and am moving onto the flooring next.

I'm decently handy and have done quite a few wood working projects but they've all been pretty standard (tables, cabinets, boxes, etc.). the size of this project is really daunting at this point because there is so much yet to do but I'm excited to get going and am trying to break it down into a bunch of small projects. any advice, parts websites, hints, etc. are much appreciated!

thanks,
imlucky42
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hi From Wisconsin

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Welcome, I'm in Fond du Lac. I built a simple foamy. You really should decide as much as possible what you want your final project will be before you start building. Every decision early on has implications in later steps.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby breb » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Greetings I am also in Wisconsin . Waukesha to be precise. I am on my 3rd year of construction. The length of time for me
was loosing an entire year due to relatives passing away and some family members needing help. My build is most all fly by the seat of your pants. The steel trailer frame was the first order of business and that I did my self 5x10 the deck was constructed of 1/2 birch ply for inside floor. the core was milled 1.0" poplar and the bottom was 1/4 " birch ply.143670143668143864
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby imlucky42 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:01 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Welcome, I'm in Fond du Lac. I built a simple foamy. You really should decide as much as possible what you want your final project will be before you start building. Every decision early on has implications in later steps.

Thanks for the advice! As a profession I’m a planner so I’d like to think I have a good enough plan to avoid any big changes/surprises down the line (but what do I know! this is all new for me :D ). it’s definitely not 100% but as far as the structure and layout I think it’s pretty complete. still need to finalize measurements in the wall framing to accommodate my wants.

The biggest difference with mine is that I want a larger sleeping area, I’m 6’ and I’d like to have somewhere around 6’4”-6’6” in the cabin. This means I’ll only have a little over a 1’ in galley depth below the counter, so I’m scrapping the typical draws and going to leave an open space below the counter for bulk storage (I hate making drawers anyways). As a result I’m hoping this will make the hatch construction more simple since it will only be going down to the countertop.
imlucky42
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dutrisac24 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am

Hello from West Bend Wisconsin! You know, only people in Wisconsin know where Waukesha and Fond du lac are (and they are the only ones who actually know how to pronounce them correctly)
Last edited by dutrisac24 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dutrisac24
Teardrop Builder

Postby gregp136 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Welcome. West Allis here. We decided to go with the classic aluminum on the outside. We have been to all three coasts and love it. Good luck on your build and don't hesitate asking for advice (Or a clamp or two).
gregp136
The 300 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Hello from Los Osos, ca formally Milwaukee, wis. I miss the cold and the snow have not seen falling snow in years and my wife born here has never seen falling snow. :lol:
Do they still have bubblers out there.

For cold you want to make sure your floor is insulation like, breb shows at the bottom of his site also make sure it is coated with tar or some such on the bottom so critters will not get in, also insulate walls and roof too.

there are so many ways to make a trailer now a days. mine are simple and a little on the heavy side. People are now making the sides simpler.
Some do the sheet metal on wood, some do plexiglass painted on and sanded, I do out door house paint. But, I rarely see weather below 30 degrees. In a world where ice can get into cracks and widen them you will need to make sure that you have all cracks filled, mine is insulated above below and sides so when I sleep in the redwoods I do not freeze.

All my insulation is Styrofoam My old trailer "Boxkite" did not have a galley my new trailer will. When I travel to camp up north 500 plus miles I want to pull over open the hatch and have lunch. Not stop at a fast food and get sick.

You might look through Mikes site http://www.mikenchell.com/ he is from Mich. and has many good ideas.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:44 am

I grew up in Milwaukee and yes, they still have bubblers. My foamy camper is comfortable in sub freezing temps and doesn't get as hot inside during the summer. You'll never regret insulating, especially the floor.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby imlucky42 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:06 pm

I will definitely be insulating floor, walls, and ceiling! right now I'm in a holding pattern with the deck put together waiting for it to get warm enough to apply the henry's asphalt stuff.. in the mean time I think ill get started on framing the walls so I don't waste more time, completion date is 6/22 so I need to make sure I keep moving!
imlucky42
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves