Introduction & Questions...

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Re: Introduction & Questions...

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:14 pm

mary and bob wrote:I think the winter camping is going to be a problem. On the fiberglass forum group there was a single guy in New Jersey trying to camp in a 17 foot Casita through the winter. Multiple problems he was trying to overcome and sorta managed to survive the winter. He recently relocated to Texas. Even us spending the winter in the south in our Casita where temperatures occasionally got into the 30's it was hard to maintain an even temperature in the trailer when the temps were low. Rather than building something, I would be looking for a low cost older small travel trailer that I could sit and stand up in. Just be careful of leaks and wood rot in those older trailers.

I agree with Mary and Bob. A friend of mine tried living in her Cassita for a couple months, in Nebraska. She was going through about 60 to 80 gallons of propane each week, just to try to stay warm. She finally ended up sleeping on a relative's sofa for the rest of the winter. If you don't want to build, I also suggest looking for a small, older trailer in good condition to purchase.

Additionally, please recognize that many RV campgrounds require that your trailer be fully contained. What this little tidbit means is that the trailer must be able to contain black and grey water for 4 to 5 days and to store sufficient clean water for that long as well.

Are studio apartments expensive to rent in NJ?

Spring is almost here; so, if you do end up buying a teardrop, you will probably not begin to hate it until next winter which means you'll have nearly a year to save up to buy something better. Or, you might consider purchasing a small cargo trailer and outfitting the inside to suit.

Please read this thread from start to finish before you decide. It is from a fellow who has lived in a trailer for the last few years. It might help you experience a little without actually having to go through it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41531
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby NJCamperDude » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
mary and bob wrote:I think the winter camping is going to be a problem. On the fiberglass forum group there was a single guy in New Jersey trying to camp in a 17 foot Casita through the winter. Multiple problems he was trying to overcome and sorta managed to survive the winter. He recently relocated to Texas. Even us spending the winter in the south in our Casita where temperatures occasionally got into the 30's it was hard to maintain an even temperature in the trailer when the temps were low. Rather than building something, I would be looking for a low cost older small travel trailer that I could sit and stand up in. Just be careful of leaks and wood rot in those older trailers.

I agree with Mary and Bob. A friend of mine tried living in her Cassita for a couple months, in Nebraska. She was going through about 60 to 80 gallons of propane each week, just to try to stay warm. She finally ended up sleeping on a relative's sofa for the rest of the winter. If you don't want to build, I also suggest looking for a small, older trailer in good condition to purchase.

Additionally, please recognize that many RV campgrounds require that your trailer be fully contained. What this little tidbit means is that the trailer must be able to contain black and grey water for 4 to 5 days and to store sufficient clean water for that long as well.

Are studio apartments expensive to rent in NJ?

Spring is almost here; so, if you do end up buying a teardrop, you will probably not begin to hate it until next winter which means you'll have nearly a year to save up to buy something better. Or, you might consider purchasing a small cargo trailer and outfitting the inside to suit.

Please read this thread from start to finish before you decide. It is from a fellow who has lived in a trailer for the last few years. It might help you experience a little without actually having to go through it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41531

Lee Senn, thank you for the link, I will check it out, this evening. S. Heisley, I thought winter camping in the trailer was going to be doable, but according to several of the posters here (who are much more experienced than I), it appears I mightn't have been thinking clearly. I may have to reconsider that aspect. For all who've mentioned going a bit bigger, to be clear, if it is within my budget, I am certainly not against it, or ruling it out entirely, however...

1. As a newb who is brand new to this, bigger = more upkeep, know-how & potential problems...at least in my mind. My plan was to start with something small, so it's easier to maintain, move around, park, back up, etc. Smaller also means less moving parts, and hopefully less repairs/fixes, as they would certainly be out of my budget and beyond my experience level.

2. Unlike many in this lifestyle, I do not own a truck, nor do I have the funds to purchase one...even used. So, my 2003 Volvo sedan will be the tow car, and I want to put as little strain on it as humanly possible. Under 1,000lbs. all in would be perfect, which is why I will be going with the Runaway.

I have looked at Casitas before, TAB's, and quite a few other standable units, but the added weight, price and expertise needed to go with one is a bit too much for this cowboy who's new to the rodeo. Not to mention a larger unit being more difficult to tow around, and with me never having hauled anything before, it quite honestly gets me a bit nervous.

I'm sure I will make MANY mistakes in this journey, and as long as most aren't extremely costly or physically harmful, it's all a part of the learning process. I can't thank everyone who has replied with information enough. This is all very overwhelming for me, so your input is GREATLY appreciated :thumbsup:

Dudeman
NJCamperDude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mary and bob » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:38 pm

I have to disagree with lee senn about wood rot. I've seen many older wood framed trailers that have leaked resulting in rot, most of it hidden until repairs to a small area reveal hidden rotten wood. I've also seen many posts about fiberglass trailers with rotten wood floors, some owners have had to remove the body from the frame to replace a floor. Most of these issues are caused by poor maintenance and neglect. I've seen more older trailers just within several miles of my house that have sat in a backyards for years, never move, and usually a bunch of stuff stored in them. Some can be bought cheap, some free just to get it out of there, and some people think because it's "vintage" it must be worth a lot of money. Although we own a fiberglass Uhaul and a Casita, I would not recommend buying a Uhaul, but a Scamp would be a good idea.
mary and bob
500 Club

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves