Volt driving Scott from IL

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Volt driving Scott from IL

Postby Scottorious » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:50 am

So I drive a Volt and I'm wanting to build a super simple and lightweight teardrop to put on this trailer. I built a custom hitch for the car and have been pulling a trailer all over since. We'll see what the extra wind resistance does but I think it will be fine. Nice to meet all of you and I'm glad to have found this source!

I've been using the search feature and lurking for a while but maybe somebody can point me to something I haven't found yet. In an effort to remain as light as possible as well as to teach myself some fiberglass skills, I want to stitch and glue together the basic shell. I'm a sailor and need to build a proper dinghy so this seems like a viable experiment. Other than the CLC teardrop, has anyone seen anything stitched a glued? I'm only seeking a basic shell for a quick trip up and around Michigan and Wisconsin as I shop for my next sailboat so I'm not messing around with a rear hatch or a galley, a couple doors, a vent and maybe a shelf will get me going. The #1 goal is to save the hotel expense as I drive around and look at boats. I also want to keep it as light as possible so I can hopefully detach it from the trailer and use the trailer for other things instead of buying a second trailer. Any hints would be helpful! thanks again!
Scottorious
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Volt driving Scott from IL

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:17 am

Welcome.

CLC makes the only stitch and glue trailer i know of.

Have you considered a foamy? Mine is a big foam box that spends most of the time hauling stuff. The whole back end is a door. Yet it is a great place to sleep in all kinds of weather. Mine is permanently attached to the trailer but could have been made removable.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Scottorious » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:31 am

I have considered a foamie. I do really like the idea but it doesn't give me much practice for my upcoming stitch and glue dinghy. I should consider it more I suppose. Any estimate for the weight of yours?
Scottorious
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:37 pm

About 600 lbs gross weight. It could have been lighter, I have substantial wood structure in the floor and walls. Like I said, it spends a lot of time hauling stuff.

Google "geodesic aerolite boats" I'm thinking of using this for my next trailer. Super light.

Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:45 pm

There is a posting on here about a dacron covered trailer. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52750
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves