Just found out about teardrops!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Just found out about teardrops!

Postby mallred » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:40 am

I just found out about teardrops a few days ago. I mean, I had seen the teardrops occasionally in passing over the years, so I was not oblivious to them. But I got interested in them just a few days ago. I'm at the point now that I really want to build one. It HAS to be a woody. I have a shop and I love wood. This will be the ultimate project. I joined this forum to ask the important questions while I start my build.

First question. I would like to do a 5x8 woody teardrop. I want to put it on an aluminum trailer with regular wheels (not the puny 12 inchers that come with some of the kits out there). My first purchase will have to be the trailer. Any advice?

Thanks, more questions to follow.

Mark Allred
mallred
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Just found out about teardrops!

Postby lee senn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Mark Welcome to the forum ! I, like you , am really fond of wood construction for a tear and that is the way I built ours. Northern tool has a 5 x 8 aluminum trailer they sell that would work well for you ( unfortunately it does come with 12 inch tires, however you can ask them to substitute 13's which they probably won't do , so just purchase the 13's or even 14's separately ) . Even with the cost of upgrading tires I think you will find it hard to beat Northern Tool's pricing for an aluminum trailer. I built our tear on the Northern Tool 5 x 8 steel trailer and was well pleased with the quality of the trailer. Some will recommend Harbor Freight trailers but I don't think they sell trailers anymore. Good luck with you build and please keep us posted with pictures. Lee and Norma
lee senn
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Welcome Mark, I have built 2 Woody teardrops. I don't know what type construction you prefer, but I was going for light weight. That meant a solid interior framework and just 1/4" plywood sides. No insulation, and a marine fabric vinyl roof. Here is my build journal, maybe something in here will help.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48321

Enjoy the building process, it's a big part of the fun.

Steve
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:28 pm

Don't buy a HF trailer!
Good Luck with your build!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 am

Wood is good!

There's been discussion on these pages about the 5 x8' bolt-together aluminum trailer Northern Tool sells. You might take a gander at it but you'd have to solve the 12" wheel issue (that I agree with you on).

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Another 5x8 woody on an aluminum trailer.Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves