Hello from Central Texas

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Central Texas

Postby pfennigcat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:13 am

Hello everyone! There didnt' quite seem to be enough membership in Texas, so I decided to pile in :-). I just finished construction of a Carawhale (http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46755) of my own, so I'll be posting some pictures of it soon. My son and I will be using it as we travel to mountain biking races around Texas -- last weekend we were at the DORBA Jurassic Trails race at the Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glenrose TX with it for it's maiden "voyage"! Definitely a step up from tent camping!

The Carawhale is pretty bare-bones so far -- no electrics yet. I'll be needing to add a fan at least as Texas Summer (tm) approaches. And eventually I'll find a suitable trolling motor. Till then it's just a mini teardrop with extra panache!
pfennigcat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Central Texas

Postby pfennigcat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:25 am

Lets see if I can do this right......
THAR SHE BLOWS!!!
pfennigcat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Candygram!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sun May 06, 2018 3:24 pm

try out the cleburne state park and the glen rose park down town they both are good to stay at and if you want to go north of Dallas there are some really nice camping up around greenville or sulphur springs area
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby pfennigcat » Wed May 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks bc toys!

We're new to trailer camping, so will hopefully be having lots of fun in the coming years finding new places to go. We're going to travel north to Colorado in June, all four of us (two in the whale, two in a tent). First stop will be Palo Duro Canyon state park, which might be a bit warm but should be downright pleasant in CO the next day (Pagosa Springs). And Ruidoso NM on the way back.

I have a suspicion that I may be purchasing a 5k btu window AC unit for this thing in the near future to extend our options. My tow vehicle is essentially a rolling generator with backup battery, it'd be a sin not to use it. I actually tested this out last weekend after draining the battery with a trip into town. I plugged a resistance heater into the 1500w inverter outlet in the back, let it run for a while. Once the last bits of juice from the battery were converted to heat the engine automatically started and charged the battery for about three minutes, then turned off. It repeated after about 15 minutes. So even without an electrical hookup, I should be able to run AC at night without using too much gasoline.
pfennigcat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pfennigcat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Wee Frilly won the local 4th of July Parade, general category!

And DW is already planning the next road trip (Dollywood?)
pfennigcat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby coyote » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 am

A.C. YES. Welcome, looks nice. Whale of a job. :roll: We will hopefully meet (Tulsa) we go your way lots. Check out the "South Central" on the front page, active crew around you. I am in Penn. right now, ac would be a nice option. Where you are PREREQUISITE ! ( down there, I made one night, actually 1/2 of one night without a.c.) Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Jonnyadv » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:18 am

Very cool. Where are you in Texas?
Jonnyadv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby coyote » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:30 am

Jonnyadv wrote:Very cool. Where are you in Texas?

Well actually, North of that Red River. Tulsa (no need to discuss Bevo/Sooner's here :lol: )But, such a fun bunch down there, we start every trip with a good 4 hr.'s, just to get in the area. Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Jonnyadv » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:27 pm

sweet hit me up if you are ever in the san antonio area
Jonnyadv
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves