Hi there from Utrecht, The Netherlands (and first question)

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi there from Utrecht, The Netherlands (and first question)

Postby FrankA » Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Whilst looking for a cool upgrade from tenting to something more comfortable but still fun we came across the whole TD idea a few months ago. It's been in our dreams and thought ever since.

Two weeks ago we stumbled upon a nice affordable trailer that we thought would be perfect for the job. What the "job" would look like, we didn't know at the time but we bought it anyway :roll:

Now, two weeks into the drawing stage I'm a bit worried about the dimension of the trailer in relation with the TD we want to build. Especially, the ratio between the wheel base and the total height of the build.

Sorry, I live in the metric world :D
The total width is about 59" total height: 76" and the wheel base: 43"

The TD profile I'm aiming for is a Grumman inspired one with a length of about 10 feet without the drawbar.

I would really like your input on whether this would work.
FrankA
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hi there from Utrecht, The Netherlands (and first questi

Postby razorback » Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Welcome, I did not know about this forum until I was 80% complete. I used the plans in the link listed below. My only modification was to make the total width 5 feet and the length 10 feet. http://www.kuffelcreek.com/cometplans.htm I did not do the extensive cabinet work of these plans, just the exterior dimensions.
Welcome to the TD world. Your ideas seem just fine to me.
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tiiiiii85 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Hello from Luxembourg!
I can't help, since we didn't build our TD, but ordered it from Lithuania, but I couldn't resist... Somebody making a TD not far from Lux.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
tiiiiii85
Teardrop Builder

Postby FrankA » Fri May 18, 2018 12:42 am

Thank you for the warm welcome.
I hope there are one or two more of you out there that can shine a light on my question.

Or is it best to post the real questions elsewhere on the forum?
FrankA
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greygoos » Fri May 18, 2018 6:20 am

It is suggested that the height of the trailer should not exceed the width. Check out this post and scroll down to angieb. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9745
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby FrankA » Fri May 18, 2018 8:26 am

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction greygoos.

I assume that with the "overall width" the wheel base is meant?

In my case I'm looking a ratio of either
- taking the wheel base: 1930mm/1100mm = 175%; In that case I'm looking at finding myself another frame and sell this one :(
- taking the total width: 1930mm/1500mm = 129%; Sounds safe to me with respect to agnib's post.
FrankA
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am

I think the height is a problem but my focus is on the practicality of that high of a ceiling. (I'll let other's chime in on the safety.)

If you can't stand up in it, why the tall ceiling? Ours is about 1170mm high with a 180mm mattress. With a tall ceiling, you'll lose precious warmth on cold nights.

I started out with a 1200mm wide teardrop back in 2004. In 2013 I built a 1500mm wide 'drop. There's considerable more towing drag with that extra foot. You'll experience the same thing with that tall of a trailer.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby FrankA » Sat May 19, 2018 4:21 am

tony.latham wrote:I think the height is a problem but my focus is on the practicality of that high of a ceiling. (I'll let other's chime in on the safety.)

If you can't stand up in it, why the tall ceiling? Ours is about 1170mm high with a 180mm mattress. With a tall ceiling, you'll lose precious warmth on cold nights.

I started out with a 1200mm wide teardrop back in 2004. In 2013 I built a 1500mm wide 'drop. There's considerable more towing drag with that extra foot. You'll experience the same thing with that tall of a trailer.

:thinking:

Tony

Thanks Tony! That is good food for thought.
Let me explain the reason for the height and see if you guys have any advise on that.

From the bottom to the top I have
  • Trailer frame: 400mm
  • Wheel encasing: 220mm (that space will be used for underfloor storage)
  • Mattress: 150mm
  • Sitting height: 1140mm (at the highest point, 950mm at the lowest)
  • Roofing (spars + sheets): 40mm

This sums up to the total height of 1950mm

Two improvements come to mind here:
1) flatten the shape a bit and have the highest sitting height <= 1000 mm on top of the mattress.
2) find a trailer that allows me to put the mattress right on the floor.

The latter gives me the challenge of have no place to store chairs and table. Or does anyone have other solutions for that (outside the car)?

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers,
Frank
FrankA
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tiiiiii85 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:34 am

Some manufacturers create storage boxes that go down from the mattress level towards the ground. This has the downside of reducing your clearance from the ground though.

The alternative would be foldable camping mattress, three pieces should be enough and then you put it away. In this way the chairs can go directly on the floor of the teardrop, without squeezing your mattress.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
tiiiiii85
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves