Hello again!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello again!

Postby djdawg » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:03 pm

I've been on this site for a few years now, reading topic after topic and hoping someday I might even be able to build my own teardrop. The place I've been living in the last 4 years has no space for a build so I pretty much gave up on this dream indefinitely.

What has changed the last year-and-a-half is I met someone very special and we are now engaged and we couldn't be happier! I have mentioned to her numerous times my desire to build a teardrop for us to go camping in and she loved the idea. Our goal is to marry a year from this coming September and I figured once we find our own place perhaps I'll have a garage or something similar and can build this Beast.

I started thinking outside of the box a bit and have come up with something. I would like to build this teardrop over the next 12 months or so and present it to my bride on our wedding day as a present for both of us. She will be completely surprised and overwhelmed.

But the challenge of where to build it was still a hurdle that needed to be overcome if I was going to have it ready on the day we are married. Today I started driving up and down the street talking with neighbors because many of the them have barns and large garages since I live out in the country. I did not find anyone home but when I finally did I spoke with a guy named Bill and he gave me the thumbs up! He has a humongous space that is not only covered but is also secure (and of course has power) and I can come and go as I please. We settled on $100 a month for as long as I needed it and I think that's a pretty decent price.

I'm super excited now to start with the preliminary stuff like purchasing the trailer, etc. I hope I will be able to do this. About 5 years ago I built my own hot dog cart and it was a pretty little thing and I was really proud of it so I feel like I can maybe do this too. I'm a bit worried about having it completed by the time I need it only working weekends here and there and some evenings after work. I would be curious as to what some of you might think about the timeline?

It's going to be a simple teardrop and the galley will be very basic. My biggest worry is the roof and the ceiling inside, what materials to use for it, etc. I'm still not even sure if I'm going foamie or not. I love everything about the foamies except for the texture of the canvas over the foam on the outside. I would prefer a more finished and smooth look. I think I saw that someone cover theirs with aluminum? Not sure and I'll have to look into that more. I also think that I will steal an idea from my hot dog cart and put a sink with running water in the galley. On the cart I simply used a stainless steel bowl, drilled a hole in it, ran the correct piping to a grey water tank. I had to have it be able to heat up for the food department but I wouldn't even really need that honestly. I'm sure there are better ways to do it but that was one thought that I had.

At any rate, it's great to be back especially when it feels like I'll actually be able to start something this time around. It's very hard not to get overwhelmed with all of the information on the site and try to figure out where the heck do you start but one step at a time....
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Re: Hello again!

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:38 am

As far a your timeline goes, it's a very difficult question to answer. Just so many variables. A few things that come to mind.

Is your rental space heated? If not, you do not have a year to work on it. You will be temperature limited with glue, stains, paints, and finishes and personal comfort.

Can you truly devote nearly every weekend? You're going to need to.

It better be a very very basic plan. Minimal cabinets and features. The more details you put in, the longer the build time.

You might be better served buying a completed one, and revamping it to your style.

In any case good luck to you. Most of all have fun.
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby friz » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:11 am

I had somewhat of a deadline. Not a wedding mind you. I chose to build from a kit. The main advantage for me was to be able to work productively no matter the amount of time I had available. No head scratching. Just open to the next page and follow instructions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 am

You got two good replies already. I started my build last Nov. I had a few set backs with some surgery and back problem. But also had a few full weeks to work on it. I'm hoping to be done in Oct. That is working almost every weekend and a 3-4 nights a week. You don't say where you live but weather is a big factor. Right now for me it's hard to work on the tear after work because the garage is well over 100 degrees. If you live up north you can have slow downs in the winter.

That is cool idea to have it done for the wedding but would she miss out on helping with the build? My wife helps out with some of the building but she would miss out on helping out on the design and I like to bounce ideas off of her. I would miss that. I remember seeing a blog where a young couple built a teardrop together and had to have it done for their wedding and that is how they did their honeymoon. I would really miss not having my wife involved. Part of the fun building is to talk about all the places we want to go when it done.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves