Northern Minnesota newcomer

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Northern Minnesota newcomer

Postby rlarson22 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:45 am

Hi ... I’m a newbie from Minnesota ... first time on this forum (haven’t even checked the topics yet but I’m already amazed at the level of interest in this lifestyle). Retiring this fall and currently torn between building/buying a teardrop vs buying a tiny travel trailer. It will be interesting to follow the progress of others here as well. I previously had a 16-foot small trailer (“Eddie”) and liked the idea of being able to “walk into it.” I’m having a hard time getting from that concept to having to “sit-into” a teardrop. I mean, what do you do with your shoes or boots when they’re covered with mud? But then again, I’m trying to go super light and streamlined and pull this thing behind a Toyota RAV4 hybrid which has only 1750 pounds towing capacity. I’ve considered trading up to slightly larger SUV but I refuse to sacrifice my hybrid ... which I love. This should really put my desire to “go-minimalist” to the test! I live in northern Minnesota not far from where they manufacture the Scamp. Took a look at some of their lightest 13’ models this week but I am now convinced that they are just too big and heavy for what I want to do. So the search (and the research) continues. Best regards, Reed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlarson22
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Northern Minnesota newcomer

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:29 am

Reed:

Hellllloooooo!

...what do you do with your shoes or boots when they’re covered with mud?

That's a good question.

We keep a couple of plastic grocery bags inside and if need be, we stuff 'em and put them on our rear shelf. I've seen a pic of plastic boxes hung with angle iron under the frame that pull out like drawers for this issue. During travel, the boxes are stored inside. But every 'dropper has a system for these kinds of issues.

I’m having a hard time getting from that concept to having to “sit-into”

As long as you place your doors where your hips are and set it half way down from the top of your mattress, it's comfortable to get in and out.

Teardropping isn't for everyone. Some folks like to cook inside, eat inside and then watch a movie inside. (It drives us nuts to watch someone pull into a campsite, spend twenty minutes levelling and then disappear never to be seen again.)

We like to be outside but sleep on a dynamite bed in a quiet and cozy place with little setup.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Northern Minnesota newcomer

Postby KennethW » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:34 am

I build in between a teardrop and a standy. 1100# ready to camp. 1 1/2 foam and canvas. 5 feet wide with bump-outs for my feet. ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves