From the top down, right? Like painting a wall.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

From the top down, right? Like painting a wall.

Postby Richrad » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:35 am

Hi Gang! Newby Rich here in Oceanside CA (North San Diego County). I caught the bug a year ago when somebody bought me a book about classic metal trailers. Fell in love with one called "the 1936 Mystery trailer" and wanted to sorta copy it in wood, as I do not habla sheet metal. Since I had no idea if the techniques I learned building canoes (glued lapstrake) would work, I decided to build the shell first before committing to the expense of a frame and running gear. Well it turned out OK, and now it's time to slip a chassis underneath. 5' by 11' body weighs about 220lbs.
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Re: From the top down, right? Like painting a wall.

Postby greygoos » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 pm

Hi Rich. Welcome to the Forum. I looked at your images and am very curious about the build. I am sure lots of the members on here would be interested in learning more about it. If you have any more pics to share please do. Jim
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Richrad » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:44 pm

Jim, Yea I used to have a lot more pics, before that time I went swimming with the cell phone in my pocket! Basically the technique is you build a strong back with temporary bulkheads, then bend temporary stringers longways over them to make a form. Then you take *many* clamps and persuade a piece of marine plywood to follow that curve. Then trim along that stringer and repeat (epoxying the next piece to the first). I learned the basics from the book "Ultralight Boatbuilding" by Thomas J. Hill. Had to make a few technique changes to make this thing tho. Pretty labor intensive, but it got me the shape I wanted.
-Rich
Richrad
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. :shake hands:
You live about 30 miles from where I spent my first 40 years, San Diego.
You've got a fantastic start on a very difficult build.
Since you figured out how to get to the stage you're at now I'm confident you can cover it in aluminum, if that's what you want to do.
I've pondered a build like yours but the teardrop suits us just fine.
Here's a link to what you seem to be copying.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Tophog » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:43 pm

Welcome from Nevada.
Tophog
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves