hello and question about Jack-Bilt trailers

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

hello and question about Jack-Bilt trailers

Postby jkrudolf » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:46 pm

Hello! my grandfather, Jack Latimer, had a business back in the late 30s or early 40s designing and building tear drop trailers. His business logo was "Jack-Bilt." Grandfather was a master craftsman in California with a special love and talent in woodworking. I just recently learned about "Jack-Bilt" trailers and was hoping by chance that some tear drop trailer enthusiast may have heard of them. I would love to some day find and purchase one of his designs.
jkrudolf
Teardrop Inspector

Re: hello and question about Jack-Bilt trailers

Postby GO_C_DAVE » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:16 pm

WOW! I think it would be awesome to find an old build of your grandfathers. Good luck with your search. I'm really interested. :D
I can build that !!!!
GO_C_DAVE
Teardrop Advisor

Re: hello and question about Jack-Bilt trailers

Postby okmacrae » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:55 pm

I’m sure we’re all wishing you luck in your search, but if your timeline is right, most of his creations would have been “out in the weather” for 80-plus years now; it may not even be recognizable. Since the owner of the business was a family member, you might want to see if any of your relatives can locate original business records, and start tracing recorded sales; that may eventually lead to an example languishing in a barn or backyard, unidentified by the present property owner. If the company records no longer appear to exist, locating an example seems extremely problematic; I can’t locate any user groups associated with the brand, so it’s unlikely that the business was large enough to have attracted owners willing to maintain a database on his products.
The only days I consider “wasted” are the ones during which I fail to receive knowledge, impart knowledge, or perform an act of kindness.
okmacrae
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves