Newbie here from upstate NY

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Re: Newbie here from upstate NY

Postby Aguyfromohio » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:47 am

We wanted our doors round too, a hobbit hole door.
We made concessions for the reasons folks have mentioned.
We gave the door one straight edge for hinges. And we straightened out the curve near the bottom so it was more like a square door entry, not so much of the door frame curve blocking the entry. Even still we notice that the botom curve blocks loading a big cooler. The comment about door weight are important -our homemade doors ended up much heavier than standard mas produced RV doors.

Ours look like this. It's as round as we could manage to build.

Image Image
User avatar
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 322
Images: 61
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:02 am

Re: Newbie here from upstate NY

Postby peterlevins » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:54 pm

RJ Howell wrote:
peterlevins wrote:Crazy thought but what if the door swung up vs sideways


Tony makes the point of those lower points interfering with swinging in. Valid point. Swing upward (gull-wing) doesn't change it, in fact a little more involved with now something to hold it open). Hinging a round door isn't really all that hard, it's more of the weight of the darn hinge to do it (same goes for round windows).

A lot of good folks here to assist as you go along the build journey. You should start a separate build thread so you can keep track as well as others. Everyone's build helps another's build!


will do. thank you
User avatar
peterlevins
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:10 am
Location: Cazenovia NY

Re: Newbie here from upstate NY

Postby peterlevins » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:We wanted our doors round too, a hobbit hole door.
We made concessions for the reasons folks have mentioned.
We gave the door one straight edge for hinges. And we straightened out the curve near the bottom so it was more like a square door entry, not so much of the door frame curve blocking the entry. Even still we notice that the botom curve blocks loading a big cooler. The comment about door weight are important -our homemade doors ended up much heavier than standard mas produced RV doors.

Ours look like this. It's as round as we could manage to build.

Image Image


very cool and something for me to ponder as I work on the floor layout :). round door is ideal as it's also my logo but if it's too much, I'll skip and design something new to accommodate comfort and ease.
User avatar
peterlevins
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:10 am
Location: Cazenovia NY
Top

Re: Newbie here from upstate NY

Postby kmack67.km » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:53 pm

peterlevins wrote:
rjgimp wrote:The round door looks fantastic!
:applause:


Thanks :). Now I just need to figure out how to do it lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hobbits have been doing this forever :) I think you need "offset" or "swing clear" hinges but it should be doable.

Good luck,
Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:49 am
Top

Re: Newbie here from upstate NY

Postby peterlevins » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:19 pm

kmack67.km wrote:
peterlevins wrote:
rjgimp wrote:The round door looks fantastic!
:applause:


Thanks :). Now I just need to figure out how to do it lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hobbits have been doing this forever :) I think you need "offset" or "swing clear" hinges but it should be doable.

Good luck,
Kevin


Lol right?
I’ve seen it done. I don’t think I’d be happy if I didn’t at least try


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
peterlevins
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:10 am
Location: Cazenovia NY
Top

Re: Newbie here from upstate NY

Postby greygoos » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:17 am

Greetings. Havent been on lately. I am in Camillus. Most of my experience is with food trailers but have built 5 tears so if I can be of any help give me shout. Jim
greygoos
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:15 am
Location: Syracuse NY
Top

Re: Newbie here from upstate NY

Postby greygoos » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:29 am

Follow this link for pics and look up on top in the search engine. Sams Hobbit Hole. He did a round door. https://imgur.com/a/spiq4
Attachments
sams hole.jpg
sams hole.jpg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 291 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:15 am
Location: Syracuse NY
Top

Re: Newbie here from upstate NY

Postby peterlevins » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:46 pm

That’s awesome. Thanks. I’m in Cazenovia


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
peterlevins
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:10 am
Location: Cazenovia NY
Top

Re: Newbie here from upstate NY

Postby peterlevins » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:48 pm

greygoos wrote:Follow this link for pics and look up on top in the search engine. Sams Hobbit Hole. He did a round door. https://imgur.com/a/spiq4


Lots of good pics


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
peterlevins
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:10 am
Location: Cazenovia NY
Top

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests