Newbie from Tasmania - Australia

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from Tasmania - Australia

Postby Weddo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:50 am

Hello from Tasmania the island state of Australia.
I stumbled upon this site while I was looking for information on Tear Drop van designs and ideas. I am currently (albiet slowly) designing a tandem axle tear drop van with a slide out using Autocad (2D).
I look forward to asking questions and seeing any related designs and ideas.
We currently have a 5th Wheeler and we are looking forward to our Tear Drop build to pull behind one of our 1959 Holdens for short trips.

Cheers
Weddo
Weddo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie from Tasmania - Australia

Postby rjgimp » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:21 pm

Welcome!

Why do you need a tandem axle on a teardrop? Is it due to large size and/or weight or is that the existing configuration of a trailer you plan to build on?
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Weddo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:00 am

Hi Rob,
It is my intention to build it all from scratch. It will be slightly bigger than the standard teardrop. We have weight restrictions for small single axle trailers of 750Kg as well as restrictions on grey water disposal. We intend to have the cappacity to carry fresh and grey water as well as batteries and solar panels.

regards
Weddo
Attachments
Tear drop van pdf.pdf
(19.12 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Weddo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:29 pm

Welcome.

Great part of the world. Visited a few years ago. Believe I saw at least one of each native animal in the wild except snakes (Are there snakes in Tasmania?)
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Weddo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:54 pm

G'day Michael,

Glad you had a chance to see our great littlel island. There are three types of snakes in Tasmania, all venomous.
The Tiger Snake (2nd most venomous snake in Australia), the Copper Head and the White Lipped Whip snake.

Cheers
Weddo
Weddo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Weddo wrote:Hi Rob,
It is my intention to build it all from scratch. It will be slightly bigger than the standard teardrop. We have weight restrictions for small single axle trailers of 750Kg as well as restrictions on grey water disposal. We intend to have the cappacity to carry fresh and grey water as well as batteries and solar panels.

regards
Weddo

How big do you need it to be? Are you required to have a tandem axle if you have water tanks? Have you found the section of this site dedicated to foam panel construction? I highly recommend you take a look there. Building with foam results in an incredibly strong unit with remarkably low weight. You could have a trailer of around 2m wide by 4m long and still be under 500kg leaving 250kg for water and batteries. Many teardrops have been built of foam here in the States on a 4x8 foot trailer base (1.2m by 2.4m) and ended up well under 300kg. I know several have also successfully been built in Australia.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby PaulC » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi Weddo,
Put brakes on it and you can increase your weight without the need for a second axle.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves