Heippa from Finland

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Heippa from Finland

Postby Finlander » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:00 am

Hi! I've been planning a build now for a couple of years. My job, my kids and other projects around the house keeps me busy, but now because of the virus and staying home all the time I decided to finally start my build. Just finished rebuilding our sauna so the wife approves of this project, although she thinks its silly and totally unnecessary. But hey, you have to have some fun things in life as well, don't you? :)

I have a small and old cargo trailer built in the 70's that I plan to use, actually its just a frame. Haven't decided yet about the shape of the camper, teardrop squaredrop or something in between. It will be a foamie. Maybe with 4mm birch plywood interior, or maybe just used bed sheets.

This will be more like a therapy thing, I mean for me to relax and have fun building something and also include my oldest son (9y) so he may learn a thing or two. So, I will try not to stress and make it bombproof in every way possible. Nor will I spend large amounts of money on parts like custom doors, rather fabricate them my self.

The materials here in Finland are a lot different than in the states. We don't have much of what you use (glidden gripper, great stuff, 4x8 foam, dropcloth, hurricane hinge etc.), so trying to figure out what to use in stead. We have just one store here where I can get Titebond2, luckily its just 25 miles from here, but its expensive, like 60$ for the gallon jug. But I think its kind of fun to figure things out by myself and doing small experiments in the garage about what could work and what not.

Anyway, looking forward to the build.

/KT
Finlander
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Heippa from Finland

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:57 am

Helloooooo from the western U.S.

I really enjoy watching builds on the far sides of the two oceans. (How come your English is so good?) :D

I can get Titebond2, luckily its just 25 miles from here, but its expensive, like 60$ for the gallon jug.

OUCH.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Finlander » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:00 pm

tony.latham wrote:(How come your English is so good?) :D

I guess growing up with MacGyver and Knight Rider got me started with my English. :lol: But as I'm bilingual, a Swedish speaking Finn, its maybe easier for me to learn. Also I have an aunt in North Carolina, so I visited there quite often as a kid. I really love it there with the loud frogs in the trees at night and the warm and humid weather.
Finlander
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Graniterich » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:08 pm

Welcome, from a fellow US Finn! Enjoy your adventure Image

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:25 pm

Hello from upstate NY. :D

Some of us used latex paint to adhere the canvas or other cloth covering.
A few used caulking compound or construction adhesives as glue. (Ones that
don't melt foam....) Really you just need to look around here and experiment
with the products you find that may be similar. You have the skills to do this.
We will be happy to watch and see your country through your pictures.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves