Longtime lurker saying hello from East Texas

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Longtime lurker saying hello from East Texas

Postby perkinsnac » Wed May 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Coming out of the shadows at long last to run a crazy idea past the thinkers here. The point of a teardrop is affordability, accessibility, and tow-ability. I've taken inventory around my property to see what resources could be co-opted while my husband and I both have a little more time to tinker.

While we have a trailer that we could attempt a first build with, my husband is not gung-ho to use it. I'm not sure what he's thinking about doing, but I'm pretty sure he has first dibs and a different plan for it. Other, stranger options include a pick-up from the 1970s and a 1994 Ford Aerostar mini-van, neither of which are running. Do think it's possible to do something along the lines of a teardrop or tiny trailer using one of those auto-bodies. Lose the engine, transmission, etc., maybe substitute a small water tank for the fuel tank, add some sort of rig for towing instead of restoring it for driving. Comments and thoughts?

To give you an idea of our "thrift" factor, we currently drive a 2002 suburban and a Dodge pick-up that's somewhere between one and two decades old, both of which have towing packages. I'll have to check, but I think both are rated to tow 3,000 lbs or more. We had planned to replace one of those this summer but that was our Before plan. :( Now I'm making myself content with what we have, dreaming / scheming for what we can make with what we have, and hoping when the time comes and if need be, we'll be able to upgrade.

Thanks for the input!

Karen
perkinsnac
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Longtime lurker saying hello from East Texas

Postby pchast » Wed May 13, 2020 9:29 pm

There are a couple of builds on here that replace the pickup box.
Its another approach you could consider.
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby perkinsnac » Thu May 14, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks, Pete, I'll look for those. I saw the gallery entry for "Miss Piggy." She looked interesting, for sure; but I haven't run across any using trucks.

I'm interested to see more auto refits to understand how others used space. I'm thinking where the engine lived might be a good spot for battery set-up.

Karen
perkinsnac
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Thu May 14, 2020 6:07 pm

:thinking: What about a removable teardrop for your existing trailer?
Look here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=31995
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pchast » Thu May 14, 2020 9:29 pm

pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves