Dad and son project

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Dad and son project

Postby nrhmaine » Fri May 15, 2020 8:42 am

Hey there all,
My son Winslow and I are planning to build a teardrop for him, as a father/son project. His older sister and I finished her project a couple years ago, and now it's his turn.
IMG-9696.JPG
IMG-9696.JPG (103.8 KiB) Viewed 1492 times

So far we've scavenged a frame from a pop-up trailer, and we've been cutting and grinding away at that to prepare it for our ~5x9' tear (Win likes the kit profile, so that's what direction we're headed.) That's him underneath.
IMG-0485.jpg
IMG-0485.jpg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 1492 times

The boat took us about 18 months (kids are busy these days) so we hope to follow a similar timeframe and get Win's teardrop ready for summer 2021.

He doesn't have much patience for the planning and design, so I'm doing all of that myself. I've been reading a lot on here, and found the information quite helpful, if somewhat overwhelming.

So far, planning to do an aluminum skinned (white if we can source it), Kit profile. I'd like to use a tri-fold mattress that can convert into a sofa, with a 4" footwell/underfloor storage.
For the walls, I really like the idea of a frame with some insulation, but it also seems that just using 3/4" ply would be a lot simpler/quicker, and that has an attraction. For the roof, we'll do the standard crossbeams with insulation between.

I've posted some questions on a couple of the sub-forums - one about finding white aluminum over 5' wide; another about whether our existing axle is right.

Thanks in advance for your advice. Some really incredible builds on here. Hope we can produce something worthy of the company here!
Nate
Attachments
IMG-0487.jpg
IMG-0487.jpg (107.23 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Dad and son project

Postby mary and bob » Fri May 15, 2020 7:07 pm

White painted aluminum is commonly used on box trucks and dry van trailers. I don't know what size it is available in as the truck shop I worked in sent out that type work. Check with a truck or trailer repair shop, they may be of some help.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby nrhmaine » Tue May 19, 2020 5:49 am

Thanks. I did talk to one trailer supply shop that only had white in 49" wide sheets, and had 103" wide rolls, but only in mill finish.
I'll do a bit more calling around.
nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Wed May 20, 2020 8:36 am

Not necessarily cheap, but if you can't source white, you could always wrap the trailer after building.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Absinthe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:26 pm

Another thing you can do is get 4x10 and layer them with overlapping seams.

A number of teardrop manufacturers do the same on their 5’ wide models I’ve seen. Also means you get to maintain the overall color vs a aluminum strip down the middle.

Harborsales.net has 5’ in white and mill finish. Not sure how close they are to you.
Absinthe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nrhmaine » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:59 pm

Well, a couple years without any action on this, but finally getting to it!
Got the axle mounts welded on a couple weeks ago, as well as brackets for the rear stabilizers, and coated the frame in Por15.
Now spending what feels like way too much time tracking down parts and finalizing build plans. Hope to put together a floor this weekend! I've spent days researching sources for 5' wide anodized or painted aluminum, all to basically come around to the idea that having seams in the roof is fine, and that'll give me more flexibility and make sourcing the skin a lot easier.

We're planning a layout that's similar to VISTABULE trailers (headboard aft, fairly symmetrical profile) with a fixed window high on the front/roof, and using a convertible couch mattress so the interior can be used for lounging as well as sleeping. Easy cooking and ease of set-up/breakdown are priorities, so we're planning a slide-out in the galley with a camp chef oven/2-burner range, and a small sink with pressure water (or foot pump, perhaps both, like on boats).

Questions:
- For the galley, we're inclined to put in a plumbed sink, but I notice many builders don't do this, opting instead just for a water jug under the counter. Any reason for that? Tips for making a small sink successful/useful? We've done a lot of dish and hand-washing while tent- camping, and really like the idea of having a sink instead of filling a dishpan with water.

- Looking for recommendations of a fixed window/skylight that is good and waterproof, or tips for making this installation successful. Would you trust any RV fixed hatch to do this job, or are there types/features to look for? Found a new old stock one that's a good size on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/144580800705 - Any thoughts on whether this looks reliable? Also seen the stargazer window that's for sale on Vintage Technologies' page. Can't find many other options though. Looking for your recommendations or tips.

Thanks!
Nate and Pine
Attachments
frame.jpg
frame.jpg (12.39 KiB) Viewed 292 times
sketch.jpg
sketch.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 292 times
nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:16 pm

Any thoughts on whether this looks reliable?

Stargazer windows are famous for leaking, and few have found fixes. I would trust "Frank" over at Vintage Technologies.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby nrhmaine » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:37 pm

Thanks for the advice/warning Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby nrhmaine » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:44 pm

Yesterday the teenager finally got out of bed at 1pm, in time for a few hours of work together.
We packed bearings and installed new hubs (to accommodate larger wheels), and mocked up the galley layout on the workbench.
(Stove/oven pullout to port. Cooler pullout to starboard. Sink in blue.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves