Single-handed in Utah

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Single-handed in Utah

Postby Volkshook » Sat May 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi, guys and gals. As I said in introducing myself to the admin, I'm mechanically useless and looking for ways to change that. To that end, there's a project I want to attempt (and knowing me it won't actually start for some time, but still), and I wanted to put the plan in front of people who know what they're doing in the hopes of avoiding some of the stupid mistakes I am bound to make. I don't mean to say that I am utterly brain-dead, but it has been about three decades since junior high wood shop.

After I bought my '93 Ford Ranger with its 3L V6 and discovered that it is not actually an ideal tow vehicle for camping rigs, and I started finding variations on a theme of "maybe Ricky could still pull this" (Ricky is the truck...you know; "Ranger Rick..." Waka waka), I ran across an ebay ad for a 1949 Kamp Master, and thought, "Hmm...I wonder of a version of that could be made without using canvas?"
s-l500 5.jpg
A teardrop with the galley inside
s-l500 5.jpg (37.75 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
s-l500 6.jpg
Note the side access
s-l500 6.jpg (30.94 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

The idea I have attempted to sketch out is mounted to an Ironton 5x8 utility trailer, with a 1 foot extension of floor in each direction for 7x10 space. Someone was telling me that instead of this I ought to simply have the entire top raise up, which has its pros and cons (the biggest con so far is working out the mechanism for lifting it; there's also the issue of the side access which I like for the idea of crawling in for a nap without having to set up the whole rig, which would be blocked by a full area hardside pop up), and I haven't gotten a drawing of that, yet, that I like well enough to share. This is the idea I had for the home skillet version of the Kamp Master:
kmaster-2-01c.jpg
kmaster-2-01c.jpg (283.84 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Volkshook
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Single-handed in Utah

Postby NedBtoo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:04 pm

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NedBtoo
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:33 pm

The biggest issue that jumps at me is ensuring the lifting portion is sealed in both the down and up configuration. Envision 60 mph in heavy rain.

You may also want to look at the backing clearance in a tight turn during a nearly jackknife with the tow vehicle. I'm not sure you'll have enough distance without contacting the vehicle.

You might also look at moving the axle back to ensure safe towing.

There are a lot of folks –-me included-- that believe curved profiles are easier to build than angular ones. Angled ones are certainly easier to draw... :thinking:

You do have an interesting design going. There have been succesful pop-up builds on this forum.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:39 am

As a novice builder myself, I’m gonna say that is an ambitious build. While Tony and many others here could tackle that with ease, fir me the challenges I’d have would include
1) Tools- good cuts and straight cuts are impacted by the quality and options available to make the cuts. I did my work primarily with 18v rechargeable tools, and it shows.
2) space and time. - if you look through the build threads you will find it takes many hours, I put over 200 hours into mine before it was campable. It will take space, and more challenging builds take more space because you need to make jigs and potentially other tools to make sure you get things right.
3)experience, knowing which tool to use, and which joint to use comes from experience. If you build the standard builds people can help, but something unusual is going to create new issues you may not even be aware of for a couple of years,

As one novice to another, I’d suggest sticking with a standard design to start.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:41 am

Australian builders seem to be way ahead of the rest of us when it comes to hard sided lifts. One in particular went opposite of me and lifts at the sides (E/W). Very interesting concept and leaves the N/S being typically smaller as the final lift/placement. I'd possibly change my material sides (Duck Cloth) to a hard side at some point (to busy camping right now).
Another on this site has a hard side angle lift that's rather nice! His concept is mostly clear panes for light and viewing. His side are attached and lift with the hatch/roof and the south pops into place to lock it all done. Great concept!

I have no lift assist. Mine is mainly a XPS foam roof, so very lite! I am tempted to figure a dc motor lift... it would be so nice to just hit a button! :thinking:

I'll be watching as you progress (as I'm sure a few others as well).
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves