Not new to Teardrops, but new here

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Not new to Teardrops, but new here

Postby Velpew » Wed May 20, 2020 8:12 am

Hey all- Got a Tag little guy two years ago and have only done short weekends around the home state. But, we are planning our first longer trip from MA to VA this summer and wondering whether any of you have used an evaporative air cooler. The fan is fine, but July in VA is going be hotter than we're used to and so wondering what we could use. Wee are not going to be staying in campsites due to the COVID mess, so we'll be off grid the whole time. Thoughts about this or anything else would be appreciated.
Velpew
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Not new to Teardrops, but new here

Postby Ottsville » Wed May 20, 2020 8:48 am

By evaporative cooler you mean one that uses a fine air mist to cool? My understanding of those is that they don't work well in already humid situations, which we have a lot of in VA.

Where in VA are you planning to be?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Wed May 20, 2020 10:38 am

Evaporative coolers only work in the desert/dry climates. With 4% humidity, they work fine (Utah). They are a bit wet especially if you are standing in the path of the fan. Also, at least in the house version, they depend on moving large volumes of air. That makes the fan quite powerful.

I doubt it will work in high humidity. It will just be a fan.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Velpew » Wed May 20, 2020 11:13 am

I kinda thought it wouldn't work. I lived in Tucson for 6 years and in the monsoon season the swap cooler would make the couch feel like a sponge. We'll be heading down to Orange VA, stopping along the way.
Velpew
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aguyfromohio » Wed May 20, 2020 3:03 pm

In the arid desert those evaporative coolers work great.
In the 1980s all the the city transit buses in Phoenix had them instead of air conditioners. They might still.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves