Silver Shadow owner, first time builder from Maryland

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Silver Shadow owner, first time builder from Maryland

Postby crxtech » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:23 am

Hey everyone, I've been reading the forums for several years now and was all set to build my own. Then I found a deal on a 5x8 silver shadow teardrop for about what it would cost me to build one, and I could camp in it now! A few years later, I've outgrown the 5x8. Two adults sleeping in a 5x8 with a 2 year old is a challenge to say the least.

I've been looking at all the various designs and like the campster12. The biggest issue with that is getting a frame that would work. I'm not sure if there is anywhere in my area that would build one for a reasonable price and I've never done any welding. Also, I would probably skip the galley. I know people love them, but I find that don't use mine much and would rather have more storage inside the camper.

I was super excited about a free popup frame from a friend. It's a 1990 colman alta 6',8"x12', which sounded great, but it turns out those are the dimensions when open. :cry: The frame is 6',8"x8', I'm not sure I have a use for it.
crxtech
Teardrop Builder

Re: Silver Shadow owner, first time builder from Maryland

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:39 am

Could you find a welder to add to that frame?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby crxtech » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:54 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Could you find a welder to add to that frame?

The other issue with the frame is the wheels are only 4' apart and the tires are 10". I don't think its worth converting.
crxtech
Teardrop Builder

Postby timhill28 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:04 am

Welcome! 6',8"x12' really sounds too big for you but kids really grow up so fast. My buddy upgrade to 6',8"x8" a couple of years ago and now needing bigger now to accommodate the 4 of them (2 kids). We'll just finish installing the suspension kit from 4Wheelonline onto his truck and we'll redesign his trailer.
timhill28
Teardrop Builder

Postby saltydawg » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:10 pm

What part of maryland are you ? I am in carroll county. If you just needed a small amount of welding I would be willing to help.

send me a message if your not too far away, maybe we can help each other if we need it.

Edit
search my posts in chassis and frame section. my frame is 5.5 by 10, body is 12 feet long.

It could easily have a queen bed and a bunk. I am building it with a queen bed and a short couch that i might make it be able to pulled out to a short bed ( for the dogs.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves