Howdy!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Howdy!

Postby DOCASHERMAN » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:39 am

I am super excited to say hello... I have been researching through this website, you tube, etc. for months on how best to build a teardrop. I have an existing 5x8 utility trailer that I am using for this project - I have gone back and forth on how best to build the floor and attach walls to the existing trailer. I would like some feedback from the experienced builders that may have done something similar. I have spent the hot summer months here in Texas working out details in Sketchup to prepare for a fall/winter build. I have began cutting/grinding in earnest on the trailer and about to weld some extensions and side trays behind the wheels to allow for propane tank/etc. storage. I am completely new to this learning as I go... and not in a rush to finish - I would rather have a quality build that takes more time than cutting corners to meet a deadline.

I look forward to hearing back from you - please let me know what you think. I will be asking a ton of questions for sure as I go down this awesome road!

Thanks,

DOCASHERMAN
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Howdy!

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:13 am

I have gone back and forth on how best to build the floor and attach walls to the existing trailer.

It's always good to see serious planning.

Here's how I do my wall/floor joint:

The first line of screws are driven horizontally from the outside and then the interior pocket screws. Here's a quick video:

Curves -- in my opinion-- are easier to build than angles. I think you may hear that from others so don't be afraid to go that direction.

Dan Lott has an excellent series on how to design a teardrop in Sketchup that shows you how to deal with curves:

Just a thought...

:thinking:

Keep us posted on your build!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Welcome fellow Red Raider!
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:21 pm

I like the look of the teardrop. Pocket screws will work, but I like the tenion method a little more. Thats where you side wall slips over a board attached the floor and secured they the wall skins.

Sense your going to fiber glass it you really should try to do the whole outside and bottom before you bolt it to the frame, that way it is a complete encapsulated water proof body. BTW a little trick to cut down on how much filling of the weave you have to do is after you wet the glass out put on a plastic drop cloth and smooth it out by hand pressure. The drop cloth will peal off but leave a smoother surface underneath.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves