Hello from New Mexico!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from New Mexico!

Postby alexlopez1633 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:58 pm

Hey all!!

My name is Alex Lopez, I'm a high school history teacher and head coach at Hobbs High School in Hobbs, NM. I am originally from southern California but have been living the small town life for 12 years now and it's all been nothing but amazing. Besides teaching and coaching I love the outdoors, I have been camping for the most part of my life as early as I can remember. I also love to fish! I've been wanting some kind of camper for a while now and finally decided on buying a teardrop camper... that is until I ran into someone at the gas station who was towing their awesome TD. I complimented the gentleman on his TD and he then told me that he built it! Told me where I could find a few things things, and after watching youtube videos of Camp and Camera, a Facebook group was mentioned and so was this site. It's been 9 days since I've ran into that gentleman at the gas stationed and I have been inspired to build my own since. I have been watching videos, going through this site and even joined a few Facebook groups. I am PUMPED to build my own TD.

I've got tons of questions and so I know I will be coming to this site for all sorts of resources and help, I'm extremely grateful for the abundance of resources available on this site. I've purchased Tony Latham's book and I've been going through it trying to learn as much as I can.

At this point here is what I know. I would like to build a Benroy style of TD. At this moment I am able to get my hands on a pop up camper that I plan to break down and reuse whatever I can for my build. Only issue I am having is whether or not to go 4x8, 5x8 or 5x10. The tow vehicle for this project is a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited with tow limit of 2,000. I just don't know if a 5x10 would be cutting close to it.

Super excited to get going on this project. I haven't had students in my class since March of this year, will not have student's for the rest of this school year and athletic seasons have been cancelled, I've got time to work on this project. I appreciate all the feedback good and bad and I can't wait to share this journey with you all!!

-Alex
alexlopez1633
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from New Mexico!

Postby rockinrobin » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:40 am

Welcome from the Texas Panhandle! Keep us posted. We love pictures!
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:24 am

Good luck on your build, Thanks for doing what you do, and enjoy your travel’s
Took a minute to find it but here is something for you to look at.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=60392#p1086217
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:57 am

The link that Twisted provided is the bible as far weights.

I've always felt the Benroy profile is a very practical (and attractive) profile.

These two of mine weigh in at about 1325 pounds:

I hope the book helps. A lot. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dogcatcher » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Since you like the Ben Roy style, you might also look at the Grasshopper style of camper trailer. Here is one link that has some good stuff in it. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73098&p=1268609&hilit=grasshopper#p1268609

Being in New Mexico you might also look at some of the off road styles. The ones with pop up style roofs add another dimension in that you can stand up or at least have more headroom, but still have a low profile while on the road.

The HQ12 series camper will give you some ideas. https://www.blackseriescamper.com/trave ... /hq12.html

The Sniper X, an Oklahoma manufacturer, pictures will give you more to think about. https://www.offroadrv.com/
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves