Hello From Aberdeenshire in Scotland

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello From Aberdeenshire in Scotland

Postby ScottyDog » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:52 am

Hello!

I'm Scott and I live in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. I came across this incredible forum when researching how to build my own camper. This place is an absolute gold mine so I requested to sign up right away to share my build and hopefully help some people out if I can. Being in the UK we have different parts and products available so I am hoping I can help with some ways to get around this (and hopefully still have a good result!).

I started my build this weekend so I will start a thread soon and share my progress :D
I'm hoping for my build to come in at ~£3000 as money is tight this year, but willing to spend a little more to get a good result where needed.

Why am I building a camper? (My friends think I'm mad). Well after the debarkle of 2021 with having holidays cancelled etc... It occured to me only a few weeks ago, I live in a scenic and beautiful country which I've barely even scratched the surface of (despite being an avid hiker and Munro bagger). If I have a little trailer to go around in, I'd be set for years to come (pandemic or not). After a quick google I realised... the cheapest thing I can get that isn't an empty shell is £8-10k... well I've always been pretty handy at building... so could I actually build one...!? That's when I found teardrop Youtube and this forum and my confidence grew from there. I made the plans, bought the first batch of materials here I am starting out.

Watch out 2021 :stompspam: , you ain't stopping me from having amazing holidays in Scotland TD style !!
ScottyDog
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello From Aberdeenshire in Scotland

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:35 am

You will meet a lot of wonderful ( and curious) people in your wanderings. It has been a great and rewarding hobby for me and mine. It has proven to be a very economical pastime for us. So a big WELCOME ABORD !

one of our small gatherings :D

Here is why I like our gatherings FOOD !

YEP that is a least 9 eight foot picnic tables full of everything you can think of !

but there were a bunch of us :shock:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pchast » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:13 pm

Welcome. :D
One of the nice things about building is the ability to purchase supplies as you go.
When I earned some more I could buy for the next step. It made expenses easier
to handle.
:thinking:
I'm always interested to hear of different approaches in other areas and
countries. I love seeing pictures of country I'll never get to also.
:)
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:21 pm

one of our small gatherings :D

And one of ours ;)

I'm looking forward to watching your build progress... and the action-packed photos of it in the field.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:09 am

Hello from Australia. You will find plenty of helpful people here to discuss "what if" ideas. Yes you have different suppliers but you will figure out alternates and interesting ways to use what you have available.
If money is tight look for materials you can repurpose. For example I got some great rectangular hollow steel from a local motorcycle dealer. It was the frame of packing crates the motorcycles arrived in.
Being creative like that is fun, good for the budget and good for the planet!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby kmack67.km » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi Scott,

I am a newbie here myself but welcome to this place; you will find a great many very knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum. I am envious of all the great camping opportunities you have in Scotland. Based on my small few visits there, I am wondering if you would be better served by a bit of an off-road design with some additional ground clearance? Good luck with your build and please let us know where you end up using it.

Best regards,
Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Postby noseoil » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Welcome from northern New Mexico, plenty of builds to see here. Look at some of the ongoing build journals & logs to get ideas about builds, methods, problems & techniques. Hope to see you rolling down the roads sooner or later in your unique home-build!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ScottyDog » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:40 pm

Thank you for making me feel so welcome! I'll be sure to read lots of build logs to get ideas and learn the best techniques. I'll be setting up my own build log soon!!
ScottyDog
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tdm850mh » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:45 am

teardrop.jpg
teardrop.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
here is a picture of mine made to order - needs fitting out - but came in at £2300 -
tdm850mh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Corerath1 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:21 am

@tdm850mh Where did you buy yours? I'm in Ireland and considering building or buying a kit version either. There are only 2 people building teardrops on the island of Ireland and the best value is in NI but I would have to buy his frame kit and make alterations to have a roof rack suitable to for a roof tent. The other option is in Dublin and they are about €8k so thats out as we are just finishing building a house and dont have that money lying around the place.
Corerath1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:56 pm

One of the things I have loved about this forum for low these many years, is what folks have shared of their country. From persoanl experience plan on more than you think you want, i.e. lots of electrical outlets both 240 and 12V.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves