from Shropshire England

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

from Shropshire England

Postby bictonboys » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:39 am

Hi,
I'm Jason-thanks for letting me join. I am here to get some tips on building. I have a wife and four kids and am looking to build a caravan which will sleep 6,have seats and a table, a kitchen and a wc.I can't wait to get started! Also looking forward to reading the build threads on here.
cheers Jason.
bictonboys
Teardrop Inspector

Re: from Shropshire England

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:51 pm

Welcome to the madness. Are you building to EU standards, brakes galvanized frame etc?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bictonboys » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:14 am

I was unaware about having to galvanise the frame I must admit- I would like my trailer to pass the IVA test for sure- i have an axle unit including brakes from a manufacturer so hopefully that will be up to spec, also a matching hitch and braking unit,all rated to 1800kg. My trailer might be a bit big for this forum really, at up to 14ft in length? Is there a special section for oversize ttt's? The ethos used in my design will hopefully be the same.
It may be slightly different to some in that the trailer will be a completely different unit to the living compartment , a modular setup if you like.
bictonboys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:22 am

Welcome aboard! :beer:

There is no particular section geared towards larger trailers. I am working on one that will use a salvaged 7' x 14' popup frame. There is a section for cargo trailer conversions you may find useful for designing your layout. Most of those are well in excess of 12 feet. I have found countless helpful tidbits of advice in various builds of all sizes. I'm sure you will as well.

Though I believe most of us here are Yankees there are many from Great Britain as well as mainland Europe, Asia, and Australia. You do have some unique hoops to jump through on your side of the pond in order to get things properly registered for road use. You'll find many useful discussions on those topics.

As you go along, be aware that we like lots of pictures! :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:

Those of us building larger units find ourselves far more concerned with weight. Foam construction is one great solution for that problem. There is an entire section dedicated to that.

Happy building! :vroom:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby bictonboys » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:50 pm

Thanks for the greeting,its good to know theres some bigger stuff on here! Checking out the foam section first, I was thinking of using a foam composite. Cheers!
bictonboys
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves