Newbie from Alabama

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from Alabama

Postby CCTider » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:32 pm

Hey everybody. Growing up in the south, and being an avid camper, I've always loved the idea of a small camper that can be towed with nearly any vehicle. But looking online, it's hard to justify buying a what's basically a $8,0000-10,000 tent. But camping down here during the summer is pure hell.

The reason I found this board, is because I bought a trailer this weekend. Here it is...

I originally just got it as just a camping trailer. Being able to bring everything I need, and can slap 2 canoes on top. But the more I looked at it, being a 5x8 with the 4' tall rails, I realized it needs to be converted into a camper. I wanna be able to camp 12 months of the year. I wanna camp in a riverbank in August. So, I guess my adventure begins.

I do have a ton of construction experience. But it's as a bridge/roadway inspector. I have experience in nearly every aspect of construction that provides me no personal benefit (unless I decide to pour a slab. So feel free to let me know if an idea below is dumb). My skin is thick, and I'm pretty clueless on where to begin.

My current plan is to attach aluminum roofing sheets to the angle iron. I figure it'll keep weight low (I'll be pulling it with a Honda CR-V with AWD), and I already have the material from a commercial roof. I may need to weld/bolt a couple extra pieces of angle iron, to allow edges to be fully attachment to the frame (they're going to be narrow pieces, so I don't think I need field/nails. But I'll put them on if the metal is floppy).

I'm thinking of putting an epoxy coating all the metal on the trailer. It's humid as hell down here. I'm actually currently working on a bridge painting/coating project (I'll be busting out my psychrometer before coating). And while the trailer is very solid, rust is my biggest fear. I'd rather cost everything in exopy, and hopefully never worry about rust (again, may be a pointless, dumb idea).

After the exterior aluminum, I'm going to use rigid foam insulation. Not sure what R value I'm gonna go with. Because honestly, it doesn't get here freezing very often, and I'm more concerned about summer heart and humidity. So I'll give into this research a little later. And I'm hoping to avoid using wood. I know there will be some (probably interior walls, cabinets, and in the galley). But I want to avoid using materials that can fit as much as possible. I have access to pretty much any tool I couls be possibly need (though I'm sure I'll be buying a couple dozen clamps). And while my experience is very limited, I've got family who are very experienced in residential and commercial construction and techniques. So I'm a leg up on most rookies.

Electronics is something I'm still debating. The only thing I have to have is an AC. It would be kinda cool to have an AC with duct port on the side, to run AC into tents (to help convince people to join me when it's still 90 with 100% humidity at 1 am). But that may be a pipe dream. But I definitely need an AC.

After the AC, it would be cool to have a small stereo (probably using 6x9s). I don't want a TV (though that could change in the future. Obviously, I'll install LEDs inside, outside, and in the galley. It would be nice to have a battery that could run a 5,000 BTU unit. But that may be expensive as hell, or just impossible. I'm also interested in installing solar. But I expect I'll need a generator.

Still trying to debate my galley. Currently have a 2 burner Coleman stove for camping. But I may upgrade at some point to something better. But I'll definitely be using propane. Still unsure how I want to run it. Using a propane heater might not be the worst idea, but that may create a safety hazard. And again, cold is rarely an issue. Though that could always change if work takes me across the country.

I'll probably upgrade my lock box in the front. And I'll probably sell the trailer gate. The hitch looks damn good, so I didn't have any trouble there. I do worry that a straight box shape may have issues with aerodynamics.

That's about all I can think about now. Pretty much just sheath it, slap on a roof, insulate it. Though there's a good chance I'm I underestimating how much work I have ahead of me. Seeing how detailed the questions on this board can be, I'm almost certain there's a million details I'm overlooking. So feel free to punt me in any direction I need to be in.

Thanks, and happy building.
CCTider
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie from Alabama

Postby pchast » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:06 pm

Welcome! :D

It seems you have a lot of research to do and decisions to make...
:thinking:
There are a lot of different approaches and techniques represented here. These
trailers can be as simple or as complex as you want to make them.

I got fancy with the wiring and lighting but have no actual galley. I do have a one
burner stove and a pot that I can grab and store in the tongue box....
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby CCTider » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:45 pm

I like to cook, especially if I'm hanging around a site, instead of paddling out going out. I may make a proper galley, I may just have a great storage area in the back. But easy packing sounds pretty good too. I'm sure it might even evolve over time. It's a shame the galley gallery isn't working. I bet it has some great ideas.
CCTider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CCTider » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:13 pm

So, I'm back and still a newbie. But I've given up my build. Life threw a few curve balls, and time is hard to find lately.

So I said screw it, and just bought myself a teardrop.

I need some medicinal camping once it gets too hot for a tent (1/3 to 1/2 the year around the Gulf Coast).

It's a 2017 New Wave 5x8 with a galley. She's a pretty simple teardrop, with a few lights and an AC built in. Dry weight is under 900 lbs. It came with a Rhino Rack Sunseeker awning and a roof rack. It currently only has AC power (a good ol power strip with a cord hanging from the bottom. It does not have a vent fan, but the previous owner added insulation on the walls, to help reduce condensation.

While I'm thrilled, I'm also not back here to high fives and camaraderie. I'm not building one from scratch, but there's still a few things i want to do to it.

I guess you could say I want maximum minimalist. Low maintenance is gonna be my goal. I'm looking to add enough features to avoid campgrounds.

First thing i need to do, is attach the box in the tongue. I just got that yesterday for $100. i almost went with a 60"x24" box, but it was 3x as much, and i fell in love with that rails. I tend to over pack, and it looks like a great place to stash coolers.

One thing I definitely want to add is a 100ah battery and a hot shower. Battery for ibis m obvious reasons. I don't want to have to run a generator to charge my phone. Though I have a 2100 watt Firman inverter generator, so I will have power whenever needed.

I saw a pretty cool YouTube video, and it looks like a pretty easy install. I don't want to have any designated water tanks in it I'd rather get 5 to 7 gallon jugs, and have it set up outside on the driver's side wall. I figure that could be done for about $500, and it would be worth every penny.

One thing I seen strongly considering, is install a vent fan on the roof. There's plenty of nights i won't need AC, but a fan can make all the difference sometimes.
This is something I know I'll be researching on this site. I'm not certain if I can just cut the holes and install the fan, or if I'll need to install additional blocking. I'm not exactly sure what in the walls. New Wave went out of business during covid, so it'll be interesting to see what a cross section looks like. I may try tracking down the former owners of the company. But that's gonna be a tall task.

If money and time was no joke object, there's a ton of stuff I'd love to do. But I'm mostly wanting to stick to the necessities to avoid neighbors, and keep any company nice and comfortable.

Look forward to being back around here. I hate that i didn't get to work on my build. But things got rough the last year and a half. I'm just now finally not physically and mentally exhausted. I had to help be a caretaker for an uncle that died of cancer. He was excited I was going to build one, and gave me some good ideas. I know he'd be happy i finally have a teardrop, regardless of what method I acquired it.

So... Time to figure out exactly what I need. Just packing my camping gear into it has me smiling.
CCTider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:03 pm

Good to see you back! I'll be watching any modifications
you get into and what surprises you find in the attempt.
:D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby CCTider » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:56 pm

One thing i know for certain is that I'm not good with my hands. The right tools go a very long way to doing the job right. But I'm not good at making things look "pretty"

But I'm a construction inspector. So I know how it needs to be built and how to make things solid. But I'm not a finishing carpenter for a good reason. I also know not to jump into things without researching it. So it'll be a fun, occasionally frustrating journey.
CCTider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:48 pm

The best advise is to just take your time.
test fit things, then try again...
You can do it. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves