Another Newbie, Hello Y'all

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Another Newbie, Hello Y'all

Postby Mark Gunter » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:03 pm

Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum, and just beginning the build of a tiny (or small) travel trailer. I hope it's not too big to be welcome here. It's going to be a small camper with room to stand inside, approximately 7' x 11' and 6-1/2' height from the trailer frame. I purchased an old trailer frame that had come from an earlier popup camper ... that will be my "foundation" ... and I purchased a messed up, smaller, later model popup which I tore down. Salvaging a few things from that to go into my camper. I'm using the newer axle on my older frame.

A few years ago I built out a van and stayed in it a year or so before re-marrying. After I remarried, the wife and I bought a 34 foot bumper pull new (Dutchmen Astoria) in which we've lived the past two years. We're not quite at the stage of being ready to tote our 34 footer around the country, or to make quick trips in it. We're parked semi-permanently for the next three years, with a large deck, etc. We both love camping, and in this stage of life I am semi-retired at 68 and she is only working 3 days a week. She's off Saturday-Tuesday each week. We need the small camper for long weekend getaways. I have the skills (I think) to build this camper, and I can do it. What I can't do any more is tent camping, lol.

So my journey begins! Thanks for this forum resource! It really sucks that so many pinned threads seem to be full of bad links and broken images :NC Nevertheless, I've already begun to find valuable knowledge and inspiration from browsing.

Glad to make your acquaintance.
I'm a happy man, I love my life!

My Gunter Li’l Standy build journal:
https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75291
Mark Gunter
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Another Newbie, Hello Y'all

Postby philpom » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:46 pm

Welcome! I'm sure your build will fit right in. Before we built our cabin in the mountains we considered building a "docking house" for a larger camper but opted for the full cabin. I do see a number of folks up in the area that have a semi-permanent camper lifestyle.

Can't wait for pictures of the project,

Cheers
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:53 am

Welcome! Plan sounds good.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby DJ Davis » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:04 am

Mark,

Welcome to the forum. To save you from digging, type in "DJ Davis; Home made camper; Instructables" and that should bring you to my build log on that website. It's got other folks build, too. Good luck with the build and please reach out to us for tips and other unwanted advice as needed!
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby Mark Gunter » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:43 am

Thanks for the welcoming comments. DJ, I looked up your instructible, it’s awesome. I skimmed through it. Looking forward to reading it.

I’ve been on a project in San Jose, CA the past week. Looking forward to getting home to Texas and continuing with my camper build. I do plan to document it in a build journal here.
I'm a happy man, I love my life!

My Gunter Li’l Standy build journal:
https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=75291
Mark Gunter
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves