Greetings from Wichita

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Greetings from Wichita

Postby RamblingRemy » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:55 am

Hello,

My name is Jeremy and I recently won this trailer at auction for $550! I think it's a steal. Sadly it came from someone's estate sale where they passed and they wife wasn't wanting to keep it.

Looks to have granite countertops, sink, pump, two burner and insulated walls already installed.
10'x6.5'

Looking forward to picking it up next weekend, finishing it out and making it our own for my wife and three little girls. Already reading up on the fiberglass finish and hammock options for the kids (5 & 3).

Concerned about doing homemade doors and thinking of reshaping the entry and adding in floor storage but not sure yet.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
RamblingRemy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Greetings from Wichita

Postby RamblingRemy » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:00 am

Some more pictures!

BTW the auction company says the trailer is professionally built and has hookups wired already.

I'm more a fan of the modern finished oak plywood and CNC cabinetry and wanting to do a stargazer roof similar to the Vistabule trailer.

Should I scrap that and finish as is? Or remove the interior panels, add the headliner, paneling and cabinetry of my own design?

I have access to a maker space with large 4x8 three access CNC machine and I'm fairly handy. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
RamblingRemy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:48 am

Wow! Sounds like you bought yourself a great project, and have lots of good ideas and enthusiasm. Welcome to the forum!

Several folks have done stargazer-like windows on here. There have been some problems with leaks, so use the search engine and read through and see what you think. However, some active members here have done roof windows with good success. I haven't tried, so that's the limit of my opinion on the matter.

Looks like there is no roof fan. We found ours essential for comfort. We have a Maxfan with shroud and haven't had any leak issues with that.

Looks like the interior was well done. If it were me, I'd keep it, but that's very much a personal matter. If you think you'll be happier with oak plywood, that's your call. Same with cabinets. One possibility would be to try camping in it, see how the cabinets work for you, and what could be improved, and go from there.

Mostly, have fun with it! You will honor the original builder's memory by using it and enjoying it.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:53 pm

I'm siding with Tom. What's done looks good. I'd leave the interior alone for now. Finish it up and enjoy it!

PS. I don't think that counter is granite. It looks like it's one of those prefabricated laminate countertops that you get at the local big-box hardware store. Anyway, granite would add too much weight. You're better off with what you've got there.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sparksalot » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:11 pm

Finish it then enjoy. If you’re like many of us, you’ll end up tinkering around and making modifications over time. Mine is 15 years old. I’ll probably be done working on her, the day I sell it.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby RamblingRemy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:51 pm

S. Heisley wrote:I'm siding with Tom. What's done looks good. I'd leave the interior alone for now. Finish it up and enjoy it!

PS. I don't think that counter is granite. It looks like it's one of those prefabricated laminate countertops that you get at the local big-box hardware store. Anyway, granite would add too much weight. You're better off with what you've got there.

:lol: I stand corrected, it totally is. I did have a fleeting thought that would be so heavy, but hey, it looks close!

Sparksalot wrote:Finish it then enjoy. If you’re like many of us, you’ll end up tinkering around and making modifications over time. Mine is 15 years old. I’ll probably be done working on her, the day I sell it.

I am more so falling into this camp. I know I will continually update things as usage proves or disproves plans. I do worry about completely scratch building a layered door to weatherproof standards and am considering reshaping / adding back parts of the cutouts to accommodate off the shelf doors. I'm also wondering why they wouldn't bring the counter all the way to the back galley hatch? Thoughts?

Thanks for the welcome all!
RamblingRemy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:30 pm

RamblingRemy wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:I'm siding with Tom. What's done looks good. I'd leave the interior alone for now. Finish it up and enjoy it!

:lol: I stand corrected, it totally is. I did have a fleeting thought that would be so heavy, but hey, it looks close!

Sparksalot wrote:Finish it then enjoy. If you’re like many of us, you’ll end up tinkering around and making modifications over time. Mine is 15 years old. I’ll probably be done working on her, the day I sell it.

[email protected]
I am more so falling into this camp. I know I will continually update things as usage proves or disproves plans. I do worry about completely scratch building a layered door to weatherproof standards and am considering reshaping / adding back parts of the cutouts to accommodate off the shelf doors. I'm also wondering why they wouldn't bring the counter all the way to the back galley hatch? Thoughts?

Thanks for the welcome all!

Either that was the depth the countertop came as or the countertop was shaved down a bit to make it easier to get to the storage area underneath. It isn't fun to have to get on your knees, especially on gravel and adding drawers adds extra weight. While we're on the subject of weight, have you gotten it weighed yet? It might be a good idea to know your starting weight so you know how much you can add. (I'm assuming it doesn't have brakes.) Some states only allow 1500 pounds. Check what your state allows, if you haven't already done so.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:10 pm

PS: I don't believe it was professionally built. The work might have been done by a guy with some experience and a lot of talent, though. The picture of the inside looks vaguely familiar, but it would be nearly impossible to find it on this forum, I think.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves