Hello and I love this site

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello and I love this site

Postby Bruce R Leech » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:34 am

My name is Bruce and I am new to this site i've been hunting it for about a month or two now and I have been wanting to build a teardrop trailer since I was 12 years old i'm now 73. I could never find any decent plans or anything that kind of pushed my button As far as the trailer I wanted to build.I wanted to do something more traditional looking, And keep the weight down the height down for the low wind resistance. I live in Ensenada Mexico because that's about the only place I can afford to live on my US social security but I like it a lot,but it means a little bit of travel to get to my friends and family in Colorado. A couple of months ago stumbling around on Amazon I came across the book written by Tony Latham. I checked it out a little bit it seemed really interesting so I purchased the book i have read that book Probably 50 times cover to cover and a lot more times referring back to certain chapters for certain things.

Since then i have started construction of my teardrop trailer it is going to be almost exactly like the one that Tony builds in his book after looking all my life for plans i found out that is not what I needed at all I needed really good instructions And that's what I got with Tony's book. the book is so well written that I can read it and I can see in my brain the plans i can't believe that the quality of the instructions that Tony wrote into this book. I have purchased all of the materials in the frame is done. I finished my template i have cut out this sides and have the interior skins on them already and everyday I work on it which is a lot because I have a lot of time i'm amazed i have few mistakes I make because I carefully read what Tony has written before I do each part of the build.

I would like to be able to post some pictures on here but I can't figure out how i don't know if my computer's capable or if I'm capable I'm not very computer literate.

Building the trailer in Mexico seems to be a little bit of a challenge finding the materials this sometimes difficult such as I can't find aC plywood so I'm using Baltic Birch for everything it seems to be waterproof enough and if I get the fiberglass on it saturated with resin I think it will be waterproof enough. I do have a fairly extensive wood shop here at my house so tools are not really too much of a problem I also have my overhead crane in my shop so I will be using that to lift the heavy stuff around It's great for us old guys.

I will try to post more information on how I'm doing on the project as it comes along but like I say I'm not very computer literate so they might be a little bit far in between also I'm working on the on the teardrop there's many hours a day as I can which means early in the morning and late in the evening because it gets hot here in the middle of the day.

So for now My hat's off to Tony Latham I never would have got this far in this project without his book Also I have contacted him for help one time and he was very responsive and helpful to me I really appreciate that Tony .For now that's it

i'm sorry that my posts are sometimes very scrambled and difficult to read it's kind of like a word salad from Kamala Harris, I use Google dictation and it is a little less than perfect by far.

Bruce
Bruce R Leech
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello and I love this site

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:53 am

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the site! If you have access to Baltic Birch, I'm envious, and I'm sure everyone else is as well! That will certainly do well instead of AC.

As you probably know, Tony is a frequent poster on this site.

Good luck with the build!

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Bruce R Leech » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:31 am

Thank you very much Yes down here we can get Baltic birds for half the price of CDX plywood it's funny but things work out that way I don't know where Baltic Birch comes from but maybe China I don't know
Bruce R Leech
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:02 am

So for now My hat's off to Tony Latham....

We'll see if your hat's still off in a month or so. ;)

Holler when you have questions. You will. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bruce R Leech » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:05 pm

Tony there's been many times in the book that I have not understood something and it seemed wrong but I have gone back and reread and reread several times and I can see that it's just my stupid ignorance that causing the problem Everything is in the book If you just read it it's there.

Thank you very much Tony have a good one.
Bruce R Leech
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves