So happy to be here!!!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

So happy to be here!!!

Postby SandraMort » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:08 am

This year, I decided to build a trailer. My goal is to create a trailer that is light enough for my prius prime hybrid. This way, I can visit my daughter and friends without needing to impose on anybody as a guest and my husband and I might even be able to go on our first vacation together. In order for my teeny prius to pull it, it'll need to be under 1,200 lbs. However, if I make a mostly foam/PMF trailer with minimal accessories, but I think I can pull it off.

I have it all coming together in my brain, though I'm not exactly sure how to write it down so I can follow the plans and make sure it's done properly. I was thinking that an autocad program would be best, but I don't know if there are any decent free ones.

Anyway, this leads me to the reason II'm here. Anytime I start a project, I tend to bore my friends and family with my thoughts and questions, so I'm here to bother fellow trailer builders (as well as sharing information that I've collected, if it can help anybody else.)

I live in Dutchess County, NY, if anybody is local, and I'm SandraMort on FB, if anybody is there, too.

Nice meeting you all!!!!
-Sandra
SandraMort
Teardrop Inspector

Re: So happy to be here!!!

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:01 pm

Welcome, Sandra! I think I just did some answering on another thread of yours.

Yes, a foamie is a good idea, with minimal wood to keep the weight down.

Also, please note that, unless it has changed recently, your trailer will need to weigh no more than 1,000 pounds to be towed in New York State without brakes. (You may want to verify that to see if the law is still the same. The last time I checked, NY was the only state still limiting trailers without brakes to 1,000 lbs.)

Have you checked to see how much weight a Prius can tow (and stop)? If you have your vehicle's user manual, check in both the towing and braking sections. Otherwise, check online, listing both the make and model and the year it was built.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pchast » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:15 pm

Welcome Sandra. :D

I'm in Greene Cty, NY With a Foamy.
Built on a HF 4x8 trailer and no Galley.

I had a weight slip for 560 lbs before I
added a 6" foam mattress and bedding.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby SandraMort » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:30 am

S. Heisley wrote:Welcome, Sandra! I think I just did some answering on another thread of yours.

Thanks!!! All answers are welcome and appreciated!

Yes, a foamie is a good idea, with minimal wood to keep the weight down.

My biggest concern with foam is chemical smell/offgassing. Is that ever a problem? I've never worked with it before.

Also, please note that, unless it has changed recently, your trailer will need to weigh no more than 1,000 pounds to be towed in New York State without brakes. (You may want to verify that to see if the law is still the same. The last time I checked, NY was the only state still limiting trailers without brakes to 1,000 lbs.)

Oh. I hadn't even known that it's possible (or safe?) to have one without brake lights. Or did you mean physical brakes? If so, I didn't know that there were any on trailers. How does that work?

[/quote]Have you checked to see how much weight a Prius can tow (and stop)? If you have your vehicle's user manual, check in both the towing and braking sections. Otherwise, check online, listing both the make and model and the year it was built.[/quote]

At the beginning of this dive into the rabbit hole, I looked and thought it said 1200-1500 lbs, but before I go and spend money on anything, I'd contact the dealer and get an official answer. It's a 2021 Prius Prime hybrid. It's also possible that my other car or my sister or kids' cars could end up pulling it, but my car is the smallest of the lot. The rest are all SUV, ninivan and possibly a four door sedan? IThey can probably pull more, but if for some reason they couldn't, they could aways borrow my car along with the trailer.

Thank you!
Sandra
SandraMort
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:09 pm

Oh. I hadn't even known that it's possible (or safe?) to have one without brake lights. Or did you mean physical brakes? If so, I didn't know that there were any on trailers. How does that work?

Sandra: I wrote "brakes", meaning physical brakes. If you were planning on using a 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer chassis, they do not have brakes. If a trailer has wheels with only 4 lug nuts, it does not have brakes. A trailer that has wheels/axle with 5 holes may or may not have brakes but is probably modifiable if it does not have brakes, but that's extra work and expense that you probably don't want.

Unless I'm mistaken, ALL trailers (unless ancient and grandfathered somehow) must have brake lights that work in conjunction with the tow vehicle. It is a Dept. of Transportation requirement in all states.

I Googled " 2021 Prius prime hybrid braking capacity when towing" and this was the highest that came up:
(I suggest you Google this yourself as differing amounts down to NO towing came up)

The limit is set at 810 lb. This includes your passengers and other equipment within your Prius. They state that if you go above this weight that it can affect your tires, can cause problems with your st...

This is why I suggested that you look at both towing and braking capacity. They differ.

Recognize also that you will need to install a hitch to any vehicle that you want to tow with (unless it already has a hitch).

Although you might be able to build a foamie within your weight limitations, you might be better off getting an SUV tent to attach to the back lift of your Prius and also a couple cots to give you off-the-ground comfort.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves