Pandemic Girl Camper from NJ (1 year square drop owner)

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Pandemic Girl Camper from NJ (1 year square drop owner)

Postby Msjitterbug » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:26 am

Hello...Greetings from NJ (any NJ TT owners out there?)
I am a pandemic camper who has now grown into my first square drop. I completed my first season in my little camper "Koshi" this year and have enjoyed my time and look forward to tweaking my needs going forward. I am here looking for guidance on maintenance and upgrades to my camper named Koshi (The Koshi wind chimes are tuned to perfection and enhance the sounds of nature. The chimes help create a flow of positive energy.) As a full time caregiver I make sure to recharge often so I can be the best at my job as possible. Hoping I can find info on how to purchase and install cross bars for my new batwing arriving for the season ahead.
Msjitterbug
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pandemic Girl Camper from NJ (1 year square drop owner)

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:01 pm

Hoping I can find info on how to purchase and install cross bars for my new batwing arriving for the season ahead.

I think roof racks need to be tied to the walls, not the roof. So-Cal makes brackets for teardrop roof racks. Thule makes their artificial gutters for their racks.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Msjitterbug » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:36 pm

Tony!
That's what I'm here for thanks for the info. I'll look into your info. I've been looking at several styles, some attach to the top at the joining of the walls and some attach to the top of the walls and some are bent for the top corner of the camper but attach on the side. I am terrified of drilling into my camper incorrectly, I have a MMT (My Mini Trailer) I waited 20 months for.
Msjitterbug
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:49 pm

The attachment brackets have to be mounted to something solid. Ideally, structure that carries the loads to the frame.

Since it's a manufactured trailer, I would contact them and get their advice. They might be able to suggest mounting points or at least areas to avoid.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:02 pm

I looked at Ricks (100% shop built) Trailer for Ideas and made something work for mine.
His build Hooked me on the wing and curtain's.
tried to put a link on but couldn't :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:42 pm

I have a MMT (My Mini Trailer) I waited 20 months for.

I'd call the manufacturer and ask about how to mount it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Msjitterbug » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:45 am

Pmullen503 wrote:The attachment brackets have to be mounted to something solid. Ideally, structure that carries the loads to the frame.

Since it's a manufactured trailer, I would contact them and get their advice. They might be able to suggest mounting points or at least areas to avoid.

I would love some guidance from the builder, to be honest it's a My Mini Trailer and I've tried 2 times to connect to ask specific question and no reply. SO....I am doing my research and gather information from people in the know (like yourselves). Someone from my facebook square drop group suggested this forum. I am handy but would prefer to work as a team with someone to make this happen. My batwing came yesterday so time is ticking for March 2024 season launch.
Msjitterbug
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:54 am

So I looked at MMT website and apparently the wall construction is solid 3/4" ply covered in aluminum. That's good for you in that within limits, you can attach it anywhere. Is that how you trailer is built; solid walls with aluminum on the outside?

Are there instructions for the batwing you can share? Is there a link to what you bought?

I sure collectively we can figure this out.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:34 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:So I looked at MMT website and apparently the wall construction is solid 3/4" ply covered in aluminum....

If the walls are 3/4" plywood, then you'll have plenty of strength to attach simple brackets thru the walls (not roof).
minitrailer with awning.JPG
from their website
minitrailer with awning.JPG (221.84 KiB) Viewed 769 times

I have a 3/4" plywood squareback trailer, and I used leftover materials to make racks & supports, and carriage bolts and construction screws (all available at your local big box, orange or blue, store).
rack brackets made from scrap, attached using leftover fasteners.jpg
not pretty, but cheap and functional
rack brackets made from scrap, attached using leftover fasteners.jpg (211.66 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Or you can get some aluminum or steel flat stock from the same store, and make nicer ones yourself at home.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:44 pm

The only thing I would add to the above drawing is to add some type of rubber or plastic gaskets or spacers between the brackets and the sides of the trailer. You'll get galvanic corrosion eventually if there is any steel to aluminum contact.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Msjitterbug » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:04 am

Pmullen503 wrote:So I looked at MMT website and apparently the wall construction is solid 3/4" ply covered in aluminum. That's good for you in that within limits, you can attach it anywhere. Is that how you trailer is built; solid walls with aluminum on the outside?

Are there instructions for the batwing you can share? Is there a link to what you bought?

I sure collectively we can figure this out.

Paul,
This is so reassuring. I did look at his website and took a few screenshots of his camper photo's just for reference but I never thought to look at any details he might have written on his website. Is that what you are referencing AND also showing me the photo's or just going off of photo's? Yes my camper is aluminum outside and inside is solid plywood inside.

I have not opened the batwing it comes in 3 boxes and only just arrived. I was trying to look through their videos and website but there is nothing relating to the batwing attachment as far as I have seen yet. I only see how to open it and set it up at camp. I'll keep looking. Sadly, my husband is not handy so I want to have all my details to present to my 3 potential installer friends to see if they can help me install it once I have all my info gathered.

I really appreciate guidance and once I open the box maybe Wednesday (I go to work late) I can take a peek and report back. But this is where I bought it from
https://ironman4x4america.com/camping/d ... ng-awning/

Have a great day everyone and thanks again!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 9.19.41 AM.png
typical interior (I have vinyl flooring not carpet)
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 9.19.41 AM.png (528.17 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Msjitterbug
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:34 am

It looks like you'll need someone who can fabricate some brackets similar to the drawing above. I think your installer could bend some offset brackets in a vise, this isn't precision work. I would try to pick mounting points that aren't directly over a window or door.

The kit description says it contains "L" brackets for a roof mount. That will work too but I hate to drill holes in the roof.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:12 pm

In your boxes, you'll find the manual:

https://www.ironman4x4.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/21-DeltaWing-270-XTR-143Awning-Owners-Manual-FINAL-OL.pdf

If it were me, I'd bolt (not screw) Thule artificial rain gutter brackets to the walls at the prescribed distances in the manual and purchase either Thule or Yakima racks with feet that will fit rain gutters. Both companies make them. Make sure the U-bolts in the kit will fit the bars.

I'd seal the bolt holes with oil-based polyurethane varnish, let them dry, and add a bit of Lexel sealant while installing. The brackets come with gaskets, but I'd add the Lexel--not silicone.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:06 pm

Ricks lifted 270 I am 6'6" I needed the room & he had something Great!
Lifted.JPG
Lifted.JPG (19.17 KiB) Viewed 594 times

With the wall's, Yep this did it for me :lol:
Wall.JPG
Wall.JPG (19.38 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Msjitterbug » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:43 am

tony.latham wrote:In your boxes, you'll find the manual:

https://www.ironman4x4.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/21-DeltaWing-270-XTR-143Awning-Owners-Manual-FINAL-OL.pdf

If it were me, I'd bolt (not screw) Thule artificial rain gutter brackets to the walls at the prescribed distances in the manual and purchase either Thule or Yakima racks with feet that will fit rain gutters. Both companies make them. Make sure the U-bolts in the kit will fit the bars.

I'd seal the bolt holes with oil-based polyurethane varnish, let them dry, and add a bit of Lexel sealant while installing. The brackets come with gaskets, but I'd add the Lexel--not silicone.

Tony

This is very direct information for me thank you so much! I know I keep saying thank you to everyone and I wholeheartedly mean it. I feel less of a fish out of water than when I initiated this post. Big big thanks!

Kelly
Msjitterbug
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves