Colorado New Guy

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Colorado New Guy

Postby H82crash » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:06 am

Hello. Working on a camping trailer but, different from anything else I've seen DIY. Lots of commercially available for big $$$. I am planning some thing like a Smittybuilt Scout or a Lobo trailer for my roof top tent. The difference is the box will be constructed of wood. I am competent in metal fitting and welding but, steel is just too expensive and heavy. The box will be 60"x 90" plus a tongue box. My design is robust but I am thinking it will be overbuilt. My concern is the sides are covered with doors and will not have a panel for shear strength. Plus, the tent will be 500 lbs when occupied. There are cabinets behind some doors, so there will be some shear strength from those.

Anyway, I am a long drive from any source of quality lumber. I did find some 1/2" 5 ply ACX from the blue box store 1.5 hours away. I also purchased some straight, white fir 2x6s I intend to rip into 2x2s. If those turn into boomerangs I am considering making glue lam studs from plywood and doing some slot construction.

The info on this site is appreciated.

Tom 172891172892
H82crash
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves