Hi this is Chilled Beans.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi this is Chilled Beans.

Postby chilledbeans » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:32 am

Hello from Melbourne. A viewer of my squaredrop trailer video alerted me to this really awesome forum. I wish I knew about it before I built my trailer. Nevertheless, building one was the most awesome project I ever did. I will check this forum out and see what everyone else is doing.

If anyone has any info on the new Australian laws in victoria for building custom trailers that are under 4ton let me know. I have found this document but it's really long, and haven't had time to read it yet. They introduced new legislation where a certain approvals are required for registering small custom trailers from 2023 onwards.
https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/sites ... ay2023.pdf

Anyways happy trailer building

Chilled Beans
p.s. If you are interested in checking my trailer out, just search tube for Chilled Beans. I've included bunch of extra videos on how-tos and handy bike accessories etc.
chilledbeans
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hi this is Chilled Beans.

Postby kd8cgo » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:05 am

You've built a good looking, and from the looks of your videos, a very stout squaredrop, nice job! I've just watched a few of your videos, some very good information and presentation there. I'm curious, where did you do most of your research when you were planning your build? I see a lot of mentions on the mass social media sites about TNTTT from those interested in teardrops and small campers, but it's not universal that everyone knows about this forum, as you've pointed out!

I don't know anything specific about your Australian trailer laws, but sometimes here in the US a shortcut of sorts is to build on top of a factory built utility trailer that already has a VIN, of course this makes for some limitations in the build, and it may not be legal to do so everywhere. Others might have some better country specific advice.
kd8cgo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby chilledbeans » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:44 pm

Thanks. To be honest, I mostly did original research using existing youtube teardrop trailer build videos, visiting trailer shops and examining existing trailers, and learning on the job from my own mistakes. But I could have avoided some of the mistakes and $$ loss if I did more research. This site would have been very handy. But I am a kind of guy that prefers to learn on the job.

Yes, the idea of using existing trailer with a VIN is great as well. I'm not sure about current technicalities in Aus as they have tightened the laws last year, and thats something I haven't had time to research fully. They do require some sort of inspection/approval certificate, but I'm not sure exactly what kind. A proper engineering certificate costs around four thousand dollars in Aus (which is pretty crazy).
chilledbeans
Teardrop Inspector

Postby italianub » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:52 pm

Welcome Chilled Beans! Glad I could point you in the direction of this forum. I've asked a lot of questions already and these guys are incredibly helpful!
Build began Feb 10th, 2024
Build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=76227
Video build journal: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0ZP7TwtcT3
italianub
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves