Howdy from Glen Rose Texas!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Howdy from Glen Rose Texas!

Postby SubmarineVet662 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:45 pm

We do not currently have a tiny trailer but I have begun research and found this page which is chock full of great information. We have extensive camping experience in a large "High Sided" pop up camper that opened up to around 27 feet long with all the amenities and our family enjoyed it for many years and many trips through the Rockies until it finally got really tired and everything started breaking down at once, so we sold it to someone who wanted a project more than me. Our youngest daughter is grown up now so down sizing seems like a logical thing to do for us. From what research I have done so far, I believe a 5' x 10' squaredrop design would be our best option after all the priorities and compromises are shuffled and sifted. I have started watching local ads for used utility trailers of that size that may be a good foundation for starting such a project. I retire in two years, so it's time to get moving! Thank you all for your information and inspiration!
SubmarineVet662
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Howdy from Glen Rose Texas!

Postby rjgimp » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:35 am

Welcome to the nuthouse! :?

I'm not sure what is available near you but consider stripping an old popup. You can usually get one for a song or even free. These make a fantastic base for a small to medium 'drop and in the teardown you're likely to glean some useful parts like a power converter, cooktop, possibly an oven or small fridge, and a sink and water tank. It should come with a title and the springs and axle should be plenty substantial for a 5x10 build.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Re: Howdy from Glen Rose Texas!

Postby philpom » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:46 pm

Welcome! Sounds like you have a great project planned! If you post as you go I'll follow along.

Good advice on using a pop-up chassis, especially for something a little bigger.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves