First CT Build 6X12

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

First CT Build 6X12

Postby Tipperary » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum after lurking for a few months and being convinced to build my own CT conversion. After mulling over options, price and various other things for the last few months I've decided to take the plunge and I bought a 6x12 v nose (single axle) from a dealer in southern Alberta. I pick it up at the start of April and that's where the fun will begin!

The reason I wanted one is to have a custom camper of sorts that won't cost an arm and a leg, can haul my mountain bikes and kayak, and sleep my wife and I and 2 little kids. Also, my tow vehicle is a Nissan Frontier, so the max tow rating is around 6000 lbs.

I plan on keeping it simple, and model it fairly closely to what tsyj did with his 5x10 build. I plan on putting counters in the front, a removable bed that will sit at the rear for the kids to sleep on, and my wife and I will sleep on a folding mattress below that bed. Those will be easy enough for me to put together, the more challenging task will be windows and wiring as I have no real experience with those.

I plan on possibly getting spray foam insulation installed by a company, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on that, is it worth the money for it? Or am I better off just doing panel insulation myself?

I plan on putting in wiring to add power later on (solar and generator), but mainly get the windows, counters and bed in and I will take it out for the trial run.

I will post photos once I pick up the trailer, have to get a hitch installed before hand as well.

I am a little apprehensive on towing as the trailer doesn't have electric brakes (weighs about 1100 lbs) and the stuff I will put in will add another 1000 at most (counting gear). My apprehension is more due to lack of towing experience, but a little reassurance that my truck can handle the trailer would help as well!
Tipperary
Teardrop Inspector

Re: First CT Build 6X12

Postby CoventryKid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Welcome to the forum!
I plan on possibly getting spray foam insulation installed by a company, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on that, is it worth the money for it? Or am I better off just doing panel insulation myself?

I checked out this option when I was building my CT. I was told that the company could not guarantee there would not be "oil-canning" - definition: Oil Canning can be defined as visible waviness in the flat areas of metal roofing and metal wall panels. In technical terms, oil canning is referred to as elastic buckling (more commonly known as “stress wrinkling”). It can occur in any type of metal panels: steel, aluminum, zinc, or copper. I decided I didn't want to take the chance. I installed rigid insulation - see my build link below.

My only other point I would make is trailer brakes. While you can get away without brakes if the trailer is under a certain weight: http://www.rvda.ca/ProvBrakeReqts.asp, I would strongly suggest adding brakes. While you can safely tow and stop a trailer under ideal conditions, it's when you have to make a panic stop that you will appreciate the trailer having brakes. Ask me how I know!! JMHO.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your build!

Hope this helps!
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Tipperary » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks Doug,

That gives me something to consider for the trailer. Checking the weight of the trailer and vehicle, I would be slightly under the 50% rule but close enough to it that for peace of mind I would probably want the brakes. I will start checking prices.

And I will probably just go with panel insulation for this trailer. This build is more my experiment build, if it gets lots of use and we like it, in about 5 years after upgrading our truck I will see about getting a bigger one.
Tipperary
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jwhite » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:50 pm

For electric I bought it from lowes for around 50.00 it has a really heavy cord about 15 foot I ran it through the floor and out on to the front V frame.
it has 2 lighted switches so you can use them like a breaker, I haven't had it trip yet.
I have all my electric in one spot works great for me.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm

insulation: DIY XPS panels with spray foam between, fill gaps, try for sealed envelope all 'round. Thick enough no layers, airgaps needed, KISS.
John61CT
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions