Another New Guy

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Another New Guy

Postby McDave » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:03 pm

I personally believe that you should commit to a real electrical system, or plumbing system, or LP etc. Use the trailer some and define your needs, make a floorplan and design systems and layouts on paper prior to construction. Make material lists and ensure that things will fit and work together. Spend some time to learn about things you are not experienced with, ask questions and take notes. Plan the work and work the plan. You don't have to make the same mistakes others have made, but you need to do your homework. If you are realistic about your wants and needs and expected outcome, that's what you will get. Also, don't be in a rush. It takes as long as it takes...but you get what you play for. You aren't doing this to make anyone else happy, so be an individual and make it right to your taste and standards.
Just my .02,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Tman00 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:23 am

McDave, you are correct sir in what you posted. And here is my plan/goal: Use the trailer a couple of times to see what we need vs what we want. The contractor box that jwhite posted is great for now. We can use drop cords for now-again to see what and where we want things. I do prefer to have an in place electrical system for the permanent use and that is also the reason I asked if someone can send me to a post on electrical installation. I know nothing about this and would like to learn. Yes there is a lot of thought and planning going into this and another reason I am posting here. Going through the wealth of knowledge on this site can be mind blowing. For now we will be sleeping on cots. My wife said she would like to have AC to be a little more comfortable and you know the old saying: If the wife ain't happy-ain't nobody happy! This is all in fun as she thinks it is a good idea to do this. Yes I understand this will take time and that is ok too. Right now just playing in the waters to see how it goes. Thanks again for all the input I have gotten and hope to get more.
Tman00
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:27 am

You should be able to find the answers to just about any electrical question here. viewforum.php?f=30
Here are a couple sample diagrams

If you decide to run both AC(120v) and DC(12v), I would recommend using a power center like WFCO 4955, or Progressive Dynamics PD4045 or similar. If you start there you'll have AC circuit breakers just like at home, a AC to DC power converter with fused circuits to provide 12v power when trailer is plugged in, and battery charging. They are well worth the money and effort. Approx. 175.00

Spend some time getting knowed up and ask questions, somebody here can answer.
Good Luck,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Bearbait in NM » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 am

Tman,

Just wanted to say hello, and offer some thoughts from another new guy, here.

I am doing a ctt as well, and like you noted, I want to still have the ability to haul. Especially my small motorcycle when I offroad camp. To that end, I am in a similar situation in that I need to use some level of build, to figure out a lot of the little details of where I want to go. A specific case for me is that I know I want to use my buddy heater for the occasional heating, at this point. And yes, I am aware of the need for venting, not using while sleeping, etc. I have a decade of use with them, so I know the requirements. For the heater, I know I will want plumbing in the wall that will allow a hook to propane on the outside, and a short run of proper line on the inside. The issue is that I am not sure where the heater wants to be on the inside. I am going to need a trip or two of use to sort that out, before installing hardware. I think the plan to go basic, use a bit and plan is pretty solid advice.

As to the electrical, I think the first step is to decide if you need/want ac or dc or both. This site has a wealth of information on ac, but is a bit thin on dc. I also belong to Expedition Portal, and the folks in the 12 volt section can get you squared away on dc wiring/needs. I built a very nice portable solar system last summer, and hours of reading over there got me squared away. The good folks here got me started on ac, and at this point I decided to simply create a waterproof passage way in my floor, so that I can run an ac cord into the trailer, with the doors closed. Using a gfci pigtail (found that info here), and it will work for now. In my case, I have decided to only wire the inside of my trailer for dc, as I have never even been to a real campground. Only remote stuff. If I found myself at a real campground next weekend, my extension cord and floor passage way would certainly work. But, I had already started formulating an ac plan for my trailer, but spending some time inside and really thinking about my needs, decided to go dc.

What I have been doing thus far is spending hours and days reading here and at other forums, you tube etc., pen and paper ready to take notes, and tons of things in my amazon wish list, so as to not be lost to the big time information overload :shock:

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tman00 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:19 am

So now I have another question about fans. From what I have read,seems like most prefer the Maxx fan-looks like a great product however will it run off regular power? Looks like it has to be wired for dc power-I don't have that right now. For now I will just be using drop cords for power. Is there another fan out there that will work? At this point I don't know if I will go for both ac and dc. Still in the planning stages. May just be going with regular shore power-don't know that I will be boondocking. I sure I will have more questions,but would rather ask than make a mistake and regret it. Besides you guys have been there-done that.
Tman00
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:24 pm

Tman00 wrote:So now I have another question about fans. From what I have read,seems like most prefer the Maxx fan-looks like a great product however will it run off regular power? Looks like it has to be wired for dc power-I don't have that right now. For now I will just be using drop cords for power. Is there another fan out there that will work? At this point I don't know if I will go for both ac and dc. Still in the planning stages. May just be going with regular shore power-don't know that I will be boondocking. I sure I will have more questions,but would rather ask than make a mistake and regret it. Besides you guys have been there-done that.
:thumbsup: :oops:
Well I don't know of a 120vac RV vent fan, but you may want to look at mobile home supplies. However, I would recommend committing to a full on RV AC/DC set up. Short of that perhaps you could go with the MaxAir and just use a small 12v plug in converter, wired to fan. I have a drawer full of these things, not all are 12v but some are. As long as converter is rated to handle the amperage that the fan requires, it's a lot like having drop cords.
Just a thought,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:19 am

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions