Its sort of mine!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Wed May 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Well I may not need to worry about the hard start capacitor! If my extra cash doesn't need to cover anymore medical this month. I may be able to save it for a good
generator.

Doesn't anyone have an opinion on my poll ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu May 25, 2017 6:17 pm

All the talk about AC had me looking on line for info on mine.
Ta da
It's recalled!

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu May 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Does that mean they buy yours back or replace it? It would be cool to knoe if that booster cap was just emough to help start that with your smaller generator. For sure getting the right sized generator to start and run would be ideal.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu May 25, 2017 9:25 pm

I was unable to enter the purchase date to complete the forum. I can get it from HD. My friend will do a purchase search tomorrow. But I read the comments from people. It seems LG sucks bad with customer service. They (if) send you a in line fuse then you take it "carry in" to an authorized repair place. They install it and you have a "safe" AC. But it's a band aid not an actual repair for the bad component(s). And according to my reading the in line fuses are faulty too. Some had bad ones sent to them. Others complain that if it trips to protect the unit you may not be able to get it to reset, and need a replacement. I find it odd that 1- I need the purchase date- to complete the forum. 2- I had to find the recall instead of being contacted by LG, the recall was December 2016.
I'm just glad I didn't get the cap installed today. They'd probably use that as a reason not to honor the recall.
Been hurting my head thinking of a way to use one of the window AC's I have. I just didn't lay out my CTC for them

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri May 26, 2017 7:48 am

My friend was able to find it in HD system. I'm so glad I have a friend there. She's stubborn like me and kept searching for it. I still do not see why purchase date matters, as it the manufacture dates that are effected by the recall.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri May 26, 2017 8:22 am

PAdilen, Howdy;

Padilen wrote:My friend was able to find it in HD system. I'm so glad I have a friend there. She's stubborn like me and kept searching for it. I still do not see why purchase date matters, as it the manufacture dates that are effected by the recall.

Probably to see if the retailer is selling stuff beyond the recall date as good stuff when
they shouldn't be selling it at all. Just my thought on the subject.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Padilen » Sat May 27, 2017 7:16 pm

First attempt to contact authorized repair facility, for AC. I left message Friday early AM. No return call as of late Saturday.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun May 28, 2017 4:26 am

I have had a lot of experience with LG products, mostly refrigerators and laundry equipment. I do not recommend their products and I don't enjoy working on them. As far as I know there is only one place to get parts from manufacture and it is in California. These products are made in Korea. It seems that is where the parts are located as well, it's never as easy as it should be to get parts and of course warranty work is a nightmare. Tough to get paid and reconcile part purchases.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun May 28, 2017 6:21 am

McDave,
That's what my reading on line has shown. I knew LG use to be Gold Star, my first VCR was one. This is my first LG, and my first AC. HD had it as open box display. I asked a few times for a % off and manager wouldn't budge. I had my friend call me if it got discounted. Got it for 200$ thinking it was a good deal!
Now as Jim(my boss) says I have a boat anchor

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon May 29, 2017 9:01 pm

AC is removed from TAZ. Vent hole filled in and tie down mounts removed. Wow even though it's only about 10"x10" it seems like I have a lot more floor space!
Now I have no AC until ....

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 am

:-( They going to fix yours?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue May 30, 2017 10:38 am

McDave wrote:I have had a lot of experience with LG products, mostly refrigerators and laundry equipment. I do not recommend their products....McDave
I've had just the opposite experience with LG products, though they were not fridges nor laundry equipment.
  • 1) LG cellphone (a flip-phone, back in 2008) worked great, until I dropped it 2+ stories onto concrete, from the freight-moving crane I was using,
  • 2) LG microwave, used since 2010, with no problems,
  • 3) LG air conditioner window unit, 8k btu, used since 2008, no problems, and
  • 4) LG air conditioner window unit, 5k btu, used in my trailer since 2013 (used sparingly, but tested extensively for a hundred hours or more), no problems.
I've had no reason to distrust LG products, but I am prepared to replace my trailer's A/C with LG, or Frigidaire (my choice for my home's other three window units-I even have a repaired 10k unit in my shed, in case the bedroom unit goes awry-), or another 5k unit, if my LG dies. I intentionally bought my particular LG for the trailer for four reasons:
  • 1) I knew that the LG units didn't gush water from their drains (unlike the Frigidaires I also use), so I wouldn't have to worry about excess water getting all over the galley (where it is located), in case of enclosure or drain pan leaks,
  • 2) it had manual controls; no remotes to replace batteries in (my Frigidaires use remotes, useful for home, but unnecessary in a 4x8),
  • 3) the LG has outlets facing 45 degrees upward, which I wanted to force the cold air to cool the ceiling first, before being recirculated to lower levels, and
  • 4) it had the smallest footprint, so if I couldn't replace it with the exact same unit, I could easily open up the bulkhead wall that holds it, and mount the replacement, without using flimsy side fillers (It also had one of the lower watt usages that I saw, as a plus.)
LG products have served me well, so I will keep using their products, without qualms. Though, I also like the Frigidaires as much, or more, I've had two 10k btu window units fail since 2008. One had the fan motor fail, while unused and covered during the winter, when the cover leaked directly onto the motor shaft), and the other lost Freon, during an August heat wave. The failed fan motor unit was out of warranty, so I scrapped it, and the lost Freon unit was repaired under warranty (though I had to jump thru hoops with Conn's Appliances to no avail, until I called Frigidaire directly, and talked to a sympathetic supervisor). I bought another unit, since the repair wouldn't be ready for a few days (my wife insisted on a cool bedroom, immediately), so the repaired unit sits in my shed.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Its sort of mine!

Postby Padilen » Tue May 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Well LG is now trying to find someone to fix it. The 2 names they gave me do not repair under LG's authority anymore.
I seriously hope major appliances last more than 10 years. My first home the stuff was still working when I sold it 1986-2001! My 2001 built home completed in 02 I have repaired or replaced every major appliance. That's not what I expect. I have a little fridge in my basement from 1994, it's the one I use. I sold my little chest freezer new in 1998 to my friend it still works. I even tried buying it back and they like it too much. They have a huge chest freezer for meat and use the little one as the "daily".
Home Depot is the major seller of LG, and since my friend is the customer service clerk, I know HD has a hard time getting LG to respond to complaints and is "hard to deal with".
Reading on line the issues with LG it is not a company Id recommend.
I did talk to a repairman willing to repair it on my dime. Then I'd have to be reimbursed. That's how he fixes LG under warranty, they won't(don't ) pay him.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue May 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Padilen wrote:Well LG is now trying to find someone to fix it. The 2 names they gave me do not repair under LG's authority anymore.
I seriously hope major appliances last more than 10 years. My first home the stuff was still working when I sold it 1986-2001! My 2001 built home completed in 02 I have repaired or replaced every major appliance. That's not what I expect. I have a little fridge in my basement from 1994, it's the one I use. I sold my little chest freezer new in 1998 to my friend it still works. I even tried buying it back and they like it too much. They have a huge chest freezer for meat and use the little one as the "daily".
Home Depot is the major seller of LG, and since my friend is the customer service clerk, I know HD has a hard time getting LG to respond to complaints and is "hard to deal with".
Reading on line the issues with LG it is not a company Id recommend.
I did talk to a repairman willing to repair it on my dime. Then I'd have to be reimbursed. That's how he fixes LG under warranty, they won't(don't ) pay him.

What is supposedly wrong with it?
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 pm

It's recalled as a fire hazard and that the "fix" is an inline fuse.
https://lgportableacrecall.com/
And I can't find the web page I visited that talked about the "fix" not fixing anything. Or the lack off service.
LG has 3-5 days before I'll hear more. I've already mentioned to HD that they may need to assist me. Only to be told they have the same issues.

Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions